Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: As experienced fishermen, do you mind giving advice to complete novices on this forum
No, not at all 4 100.00%
Yes, I don't have the time or patience for newbies 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Beginner needs help

Just getting into the sport,,, I have my Dad's old rod (a Diawa graphite med action, 12-20 lb and 1-4oz lure weight) and a Penn 209 level wind reel with no info on it... I'd like to use it for trolling rock in med to deep water (20-70 ft) but don't know what line to use.. After watching some YouTube videos, I'm totally confused.. "backing", "topshot", "leader length", etc, etc.... I'm planning on using single rig bucktails with sassy shad and I'd like to try using an umbrella rig also.. I was thinking about 30lb braid and then just attach 50lb mono or floro as a leader... Am I on the right track? how much leader? I also ordered a RediRig to help with depth control,, where/how much, if any weight to use and where does it go on the rig? In short, I'm in need of all the advice/info I can get.. I'm just a beginner, but eager to learn
Old 06-06-2018, 03:17 PM

Default Newbie

I am not far from a newbie and have only been fishing in the Bay for about 5 years but have a lot of freshwater fishing experience, particularly fly fishing for trout.
I have several rods somewhat like yours that I use for semi-light tackle trolling but do it old-school. The braid is tied to on a three-way swivel to a tandem with a spoon (e.g. Tony 15) on the long section about 12 feet long and a bucktail with a shad or twisty tail on the short section 4 feet long. With no weight and about 50 feet of line out it will be about 7 feet deep. Up in the rivers where it is tight I will run 2-4 rods with varying weight up to about 8 ounces, which will get down nearly 20 feet. I learned this technique for one of my neighbors who was born near the Miles River. He can follow the contours and dropoffs without looking at his sonar and he catches fish regularly.

Umbrellas have a lot more drag than a tandem and might be a bit much for your rod even with no weight. I use heavier rods out on the main bay for umbrellas with weight.

If you are in Easton, I am in St Michaels. You can jump on my boat some time and learn from someone who really doesn't know what he is doing.

Last edited by Finprof; 06-06-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Thanks Finprof .... I just might take you up on that
Old 06-06-2018, 04:54 PM

What kind of rod do you use for trolling umbrellas ? I'm on a tight budget
Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Welcome and good luck this season!

I personally don't care for trolling but I suppose sometimes it has to be done.

Have you ever been on a charter boat that trolled?

Not trying to be a salesman, but there's a good captain on this forum that runs small charters and might be good to learn from. I'm sure he'd give you plenty of info while getting you on fish.

Try this link: http://www.ifishmd.com/

Greg's a real nice guy and it might be a few hundred dollars well spent.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Newbie

Going with someone who really knows what they are doing is a huge help.
I was really really lucky that I got on a boat several times with Don (Hunter) and Dan (Onemorecast) who really know what they are doing and picked up a lot from them.

To answer your question about rods for umbrellas I use an Okuma Convector 45 reel on an Ande Tournament rod. 20-50 with no or little weight and 50-70 with weight. I got them from Tochtermans in Baltimore. About $140 with line.

BTW a tight budget and rockfishing do not go together well. I didn't realize it until Dan (Onemorecast) told me that this is a rich man's sport. It might be a bit of an overstatement because neither he nor I are rich, but we have spent a lot of money trying to catch rockfish.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 AM

Oh I've thought of that... but I'm on a tight budget... I'd love to go with a pro sometime tho..
Old 06-08-2018, 01:15 AM

What's your fav way to catch rockfish Spot77 ? I'd like to learn various ways.. I've heard of jigging, swimbait, poppers... I have some limited knowledge ,, but not enough to put to practical use... again, any advice is well appreciated

Tags
advice, beginner, line, rock, trolling