Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-22-2015, 05:21 PM

Default "Everyone knows it's Windy"

It was way too windy for any of my buddies to get their small boats out today; so a friend and I decided to take a trip down to Deale, grab a burger and beer at Happy Harbor, and watch the Charter boats come in from their morning trips

If we couldn't get out, at least we could see how others did

Pulled into the parking lot at 12:30 and the Loosen Up had just docked. We saw customers standing around the fish cleaning table; a good sign. The mate for Frank Carver had 6 fish laying on the table I don't know how many "slot" fish they had; Frank is pretty tight lipped.

We ordered our lunch and heard the unmistakable chug, chug, chug of a diesel approaching. The "Wild Goose" backed into her slip with all her tackle flying high. The mate took a plastic trash can with 5 fish tales hanging out the top to the fish tables. When Dale, the captain, came off the boat, I asked him how the Jellies were today? He said they weren't bad at all. They caught 15 rockfish (10 went back). Dale has always been kind enough to answer any question I have ever put to him. For this reason, I try not to "press" him too much. If I get a nugget of info, I'm happy.

The afternoon parties were ready, and jumped on both boats. Dale was first to head out into a blowing gale. Before we could drink another beer and pay our bill, he was returning to his slip Frank fired up the "Loosen Up" and slowly made his way out of Rockhold Creek. We paid our bill and ran over to check Captain John on my old ride, "Patent Pending". Customers were making their way up the pier and I waited until they left before engaging John and his mate Doug.

They caught a fair number of fish today as well (I think 4 keepers), but I didn't ask how many slot fish they had. John said the morning was very fishable, but a turn from the south (winds) gave them some steady 3-4 footers. He canceled his afternoon trip. We talked to Doug for a while and he said lures near the top did better than deep lures. He actually had an umbrella back 3 1/2 bars that got crushed off the board.

When we left Deale, we rode past Happy Harbor and sure enough Loosen Up was back in the slip. It has to be nasty for Frank to turn around:roll eyes:

We walked over to "Lucky Strike" (Tawn's new boat) and drooled over how clean and "fishable" she looked. A final charter, "Ebb Tide" backed into her slip; but we didn't stay long enough to see her catch.

At least I was around fish. This is what us old retired guys do on windy days!!
5th
Old 04-22-2015, 08:23 PM

You should audition for the Dos Equis commercial...the most interesting retired man in the world...all joking aside thanks for the update. I've neen looking at the forecast and the wind this week is brutal but Saturday and Sunday forecast looks good but have to celebrate wife's birthday so most likely not headed out!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the info, Marty... I saw both Wild Goose and Loosen Up during my brief evening trip yesterday. Didn't see either catching fish, but I did see about 5-7 dangling clips on Wild Goose's planer lines. So I think I know where I am going Saturday morning.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the update Marty. Looks like another long boat ride this weekend.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:26 AM

Glad to hear there are some fish being caught. I might have to run to the western side Saturday.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM

Keep up the good work Marty, us workin'class stiffs need all the Intel you wise, retired guys can provide.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:30 PM

Been out on the Wild Goose a few times. Dale's a good guy and a great captain.

If he came back to the slip, it was for a good reason.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM

Fished yesterday 4/23 With Captain George on the drizzle bar. Morning up to about 10 was great, then the winds came on strong. Nothing like taking waves over the bow in a 46 Markley. Captain George threw everything at them including the kitchen sink and didn't even get a pull down north of the bridge. Not much to speak of on the meter neither.