Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Default Talk to me....

Around October, I bought a 5000 watt generator, just before the Hurricane that never came. Filled it up, and 5, five gallon cans of fuel. Put Stabil in each of them. I used the generator all day today to run it and get the fuel out of it.

Should I leave it empty, or fill her up ???? Waiting for the next "storm" to hit...

Thank you
Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
Around October, I bought a 5000 watt generator, just before the Hurricane that never came. Filled it up, and 5, five gallon cans of fuel. Put Stabil in each of them. I used the generator all day today to run it and get the fuel out of it.

Should I leave it empty, or fill her up ???? Waiting for the next "storm" to hit...

Thank you
I'm no expert, and I'll cotradict myself here......

I would drain in and burn out every last drop. If I let my frigging lawn mower sit over the winter it runs like crap the next spring, even with Stabil in it.

I have a 7000 watt generator that I let sit for 8 months at a time sometimes. Starts on the first pull everytime even with 8 month old gas in it. Runs like a top too.

OR, simply leave it filled up and start it every couple of weeks....seems to work for most small engines even with old fuel in them.

Seafoam can also cure a lot of fuel related ailments in a small engine too. I know from experience.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM

I'd run it dry - then pull the spark plug (s) and fog the cylinders - just like winterizing a boat.

Then gently pull the engine over about every 2 months.

When you need it - just add fresh fuel and it should start right up.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM

Take it or leave it, this works for me. Bought a generator just prior to Isabelle in 2003. Saved my house and substantial amounts of food and bait in 2 freezers and 2 refrig's.

Run until tank is low - add stabil - run until engine quits - if there is ANY gas left in tank after engine quits, pull the tank and manually drain it completely dry, shake it out. Re-install tank. Store the gen in a protected spot ( I put mine back in the original box, wrapped in the original packing).

Fast forward 8 years to 2011. Hurricane Irene. Pull generator box out from under shelf in shed. Remove generator, fill with gas, check oil, take off air cleaner and put a little shot of starting fluid in the carb, pull starter rope - starts on 2nd pull and saves my butt again.

Stored it back in the box, just like the first time. Why mess with success?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM

A little known fact....Aviation gas will last up to 5 years as it comes from the pump.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
Take it or leave it, this works for me. Bought a generator just prior to Isabelle in 2003. Saved my house and substantial amounts of food and bait in 2 freezers and 2 refrig's.

Run until tank is low - add stabil - run until engine quits - if there is ANY gas left in tank after engine quits, pull the tank and manually drain it completely dry, shake it out. Re-install tank. Store the gen in a protected spot ( I put mine back in the original box, wrapped in the original packing).

Fast forward 8 years to 2011. Hurricane Irene. Pull generator box out from under shelf in shed. Remove generator, fill with gas, check oil, take off air cleaner and put a little shot of starting fluid in the carb, pull starter rope - starts on 2nd pull and saves my butt again.

Stored it back in the box, just like the first time. Why mess with success?
For those of us organized enough to do such things, that's great advice.

Absolutely right though....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
A little known fact....Aviation gas will last up to 5 years as it comes from the pump.
Does it run in small engines without any complications?

I imagine one could purchase this at small local airports that sell gas?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
For those of us organized enough to do such things, that's great advice.

Absolutely right though....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Does it run in small engines without any complications?

I imagine one could purchase this at small local airports that sell gas?
I run it thru my outboard, weedeater, John Deere lawnmower and generator when I put them up for the winter. Doesn't hurt a motor just better refined and higher octane. Don't think it has any ethanol in it. No stabil needed.

I buy it from a small airport near my home.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 AM

Thanks Guys for all the advice..

Reds that's very interesting. Can't imagine walking into my local airport, with a five gallon can and asking them to " fill it up", but I've tried stupider things....
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Some of the local guys buy it in cans and run it in their restored hot rods for extra umph.