Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Sad, sad, day

Sad day today............................

As much as I look forward to fall fishing, the temperature drop this evening seems to signal the end of summer for me. Sometime around 4pm the wife looked at me and said, ""Lets go eat some steamed crabs tonight". We already had a pretty good breeze blowing and I knew the temps were falling. For the first time in the last 5 months (other than Church), I had to replace my Keen sandals for regular shoes. I love my Keen's. I have two pair, one for fishing, and one pair for dress.
Not only did I have to change shoes, but I put on a pair of denim long pants and took a pullover jacket.
As I headed to some local crabhouses, I looked at the flags flying as we drove. It looked like the wind was blowing from the north; so I headed for a place with a southern exposure. We picked a table on the deck that sat in the sun and also had a water view. We ordered a dozen crabs and a couple of beers and enjoyed the breeze and the sight of boats nestled in their slips.
The crabs arrived and with them came some melted butter and some vinegar. As we talked and ate, the temps continued to drop and the fall clothing felt good.
The warm crabs felt good on the fingertips. But; as we neared the end of the crabs, we could feel the fingers getting colder, and we noticed we weren't buying as many beers. When we got down to the final two crabs, we had to laugh; the melted butter had solidified. You could pick up the cup and turn it upside down!!!
So now I sit here in front of the computer with a warm cup of coffee, thinking about when the blues might leave and the rockfishing will pick up. Let the big girls start their migration back down the coast. I'll be waiting for them in my duck boots and hooded sweatshirt. I'll have to go survey my parachutes and see how many new ones I need. Rob (fishnut) has finally made some with a different color chin for me. I feel a special order coming on.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM

I'm with you Marty.

The first chilly day gets me ramped up for my fall Pocomoke River camping/fishing trip. Waking up early in my tent, just cold enough to want to stay in my sleeping bag, but I'm too excited.....the topwater fishing is ON so I always drag myself up.

Then after a few hours of fishing we all bring the boats back to the marina, feast on a breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee and maybe some of the previous night's leftovers. Might go out fishing again before lunch, or we might just play poker, cornhole, bocce' or throw some horseshoes.

Afternoon fishing usually turns into another episode of "****bird Island" where we raft up and turn the bass boats into a floating redenck paradise; breaking out the beef jerky, beers, bourbon and maybe a few cigars for the fellas that enjoy them.

Then we have a kick ass fire cooked dinner and some non alcoholic beverages in compliance with state park rules while chilling around the campfire. I usually walk down top the pier and snag a few bass that have come into the shallow water for their dinner. Then repeat from step one.

I enjoy fall right up until New Years Eve. From there I wish I could hit a fast forward button to about mid April. Although last year winter was fantastic and I enjoyed a lot of fishing and other outdoor time, typically the only thing I have to look forward to in that 4 month period are the weekend fishing flea markets. We usually hit 2 to 4 of them each year. And I stuff myself with oysters at Earleigh Heights.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 AM

Ok,

While I really do like the sentimental stuff you guys are talking about...Remember one thing...

WINTER SUCKS !
Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM

I keep in touch with some friends who have moved to Florida and Mississippi - one thing they comment on missing about Md is the seasons changing.

They have taken vacations north to show their kids the fall tree colors and winter snow - things we take for granted.

I like this time of year - a sweat shirt is just right. Then comes winter - takes 15 minutes to get dressed to go fishing or work outside.

One advantage of fall weather - leaving the bedroom window open at night. Room gets cold so wife snuggles up tight to stay warm
Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM

I hear ya Marty. I hate to see summer come to an end and I am no big fan of winter. BUT that nice new pilothouse will ease the pain on those cold days just around the corner

By the way....have you bought your Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater yet?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Don; I have one that I used on the old boat. It's not as powerful as the Mr Buddy Heater, but still throws some nice heat. It's the Sport Cat version. Only gives off 1500 btu's but that's enough to warm up the inside.

On the old boat, it would clear the frosted windows and warm us up just fine.

5th (Marty)
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM

I know I probably sound like a wuss, but it was down right nasty out there today.

Good thing I always take a napsack full of clothes on the charter boat with me. The wind was a little stiff this morning as I headed for Deale. A light rain fell, but it was predicted to quite early in the morning. I got all the rods set up and the crew arrived just before daybreak.

The ride out of the harbor was calm and did not foreshadow what was to come. When we left the breakwater, whitecaps greeted us. Not a big deal for a 46 ft Markley. As we passed the 30ft ledge and headed toward the channel, the white caps added some nice 3 ft rollers to their mix. As the waves hit the port side of the hull, baywater spray flew across the decks. NOTE TO SELF: time to put those curtains back on.

It was time to cover these blue jeans with some nylon rain pants. The deck stayed wet for most of the morning. Rain threatened, but held off. The sun never came out strong enough to dry things off.

The crab pots have been moved out to deeper water and we did catch one today. We got all our tackle back, so all was good. The fishing ok, but I think the cold front may have them off their food a bit. Everyone had a good time, but the boat was a rockin when broadside to the waves. You had to bring your sealegs with you today.

The weather feels like the big girls should be here and we should be using planerboards. But alas, they are still working their way south to us.

Hurry up!!! Git here soon.

5th (Marty)
Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Default Oh Please....

I thought I was about to read an obituary....

LOVE THIS WEATHER.. STILL WEARING SHORTS...

Granted I gave up my tee short for a hoody.. ( don;t shoot, it's only me)

Loving the temps outside.

I've hated this past season of summer. Truly, at 48 years old, I have never ever sweated so much in my life. Up to three showers a day, and thats just ridiculous. I've lost a phone to the sweat, penetrating through my short pockets, and dripping into the slot do hickey, thus rendering my phone useless.

Right now is GREAT sleeping weather.. Crack the windows a tad, get under the covers with my wife.... I'm good.....
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

This time tomorrow night I'll be chilling around a campfire, or maybe sitting on the pier at Shad Landing.

Yup, then it's all downhill from there.......
Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM

I love the 4 seasons of MD. Each season brings something different and makes us look forward to the next. Summer used to be my favorite but Fall is the favorite now. Fishing, crabbing and hunting. Turn off the air and open the windows. Winter can be fun but gives us something to look forward to, the Spring. I'm getting old and enjoy every minute and don't wish my time away.............Gary