Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 AM

Default Cost of Gelcoat Restoration?

Anyone know what it costs to have someone buff & compound a 23' center console hull? My gelcoat is looking a little cloudy these days. I'm just looking for a ballpark cost from someone who has had this done, or knows. Boat is in Middle River, MD right now.

Thanks, Jeremy

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend-Lure View Post
Anyone know what it costs to have someone buff & compound a 23' center console hull? My gelcoat is looking a little cloudy these days. I'm just looking for a ballpark cost from someone who has had this done, or knows. Boat is in Middle River, MD right now.

Thanks, Jeremy
A few years ago I got a quote to totally re-gel coat the exterior of a 17' Proline. $50 an hour plus materials; total estimated cost was about $1600. That included filling small dings, sanding, cleaning, spraying and finish sanding whatever areas needed to be touched up.

I don't know what someone would charge for just compounding a hull, but if it gets to be too much it might just be worth it to look into a new gel coat.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
A few years ago I got a quote to totally re-gel coat the exterior of a 17' Proline. $50 an hour plus materials; total estimated cost was about $1600. That included filling small dings, sanding, cleaning, spraying and finish sanding whatever areas needed to be touched up.

I don't know what someone would charge for just compounding a hull, but if it gets to be too much it might just be worth it to look into a new gel coat.

Good luck!
$1600 @ $50/hr is 1 guy working 4 days! I didn't realize it was that involved. Looks like I am just going to buy a buffer and give it a shot. I'll spend the $1,400 savings on gas.

www.DCMSSA.org
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

Old 03-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Jeremy, There are some good deals on little 6" buffers and I bought two last year.

I use one with the sponge applicator and apply a cleaner wax to one side of the boat. Once I get to the end, use the other buffer with a terry cloth bonnet on it and take the wax off. Then repeat on the other side.

Big problem is having enough of the terry cloth bonnets to remove the wax.

After that use a good grade paste wax and repeat the whole process. Then go over it with a microfiber cloth to bring up a shine and you can bring back a pretty dull looking boat and using the buffers will save your elbows. I did one coat on my 23 boat from the rub rail down in about an hour and a half. Did the second coat the next night.

Good luck.

Last edited by PhilK999; 03-23-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
$1600 @ $50/hr is 1 guy working 4 days! I didn't realize it was that involved. Looks like I am just going to buy a buffer and give it a shot. I'll spend the $1,400 savings on gas.
Probably why I didn't have it done.

I will say it might have been worth the price simply to have all of the damn decals and striping taken off. And I guess it takes them a while to get it off the trailer and blocked up so they can spray it.

Sounded like a good deal after I tried to polish it up myself. And it still looked like crap.

Last edited by Spot77; 03-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 PM

Prestige yacht detailing will probably do the job. I would give them a call. They will give you a quote.

I have used them in the past for a full boat detail, they did great work. For a compound treatment and restore wax,depending on the amountof oxidation. I would say you are looking at 400 - 600.00

They are a mobile service they will come to your boat you have to provide water and electric.

Additionally, they will show up with 3 - 5 guys and knock the job out in 2 / 4 hours.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 03-23-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:50 AM

thanks for all the info. I just received a quote from Blitz Mobile Detailing in Middle River for a cleaning, compounding to remove oxidation and waxing topside and hull for a total of $450. Seems reasonable. http://www.blitzmobiledetailing.com/

www.DCMSSA.org
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
thanks for all the info. I just received a quote from Blitz Mobile Detailing in Middle River for a cleaning, compounding to remove oxidation and waxing topside and hull for a total of $450. Seems reasonable. http://www.blitzmobiledetailing.com/
If you have it done, get some before and after pictures so we can check it out.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
If you have it done, get some before and after pictures so we can check it out.
I'm a little embarrassed by the current condition of the gelcoat, but I may be able to take some "before" pics later today. Good idea.

www.DCMSSA.org
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Here are the before pics. The stripes are from me hitting the same branch multiple times. Yes, I have cut the branch back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GelCoat.jpg (96.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg GelCoat2.jpg (79.5 KB, 16 views)

www.DCMSSA.org
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA