Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 02-18-2014, 09:15 PM

Default Keys Fishing - New Species and Catching live bait

Every day is different here in the Keys. You never know what you are going to catch. Today we returned to a spot on the reef that has been very good to us but only thing there was some beautiful blue tang fish. No pics I am sorry to say. As pretty as these fish were they were also a pain in the butt. They are similar to trigger fish in that they are good at stealing your bait but we did catch a few. My wife deemed them way too pretty to keep so I didn't bother with doing a quick search on my phone to check the regs or see if they were edible. I do remember something about them having some sort of poisonous skin though.

We are constantly catching something new and different. Here is a pic of a Glasseye Snapper. Caught a few of these. Very cool looking fish...

Another cool and unusual fish....a Black Margate:

The Grouper bite is still a daily event especially since we have gotten much better at catching and keeping live bait. Here is beautiful Red Grouper that my wife Dawn caught today:

Caught a few Sea Trout in the back country (Gulf). I carefully instructed each of them to head north to the Chesapeake Bay as we released them:

Finally I am getting the hang of using a cast net. I have been using a cheapy 4' (8' diameter) net I picked up at Walmart a number of years ago but this year I broke down and bought a professional quality 6' (12' diameter) Betts net. A well made net does a much better job of opening up fully and gets the job done quicker. We now have a pen full of pinfish and plenty of salted, frozen ballyhoo. Here is a pic of a portion of some fresh ballyhoo we picked up on the reef today:

Probably going to have to keep the Hunter at dock the next few days as they are forecasting some higher winds. But looking on the bright side....this will allow us to get to happy hour on time for once.

2008 Maycraft 2550XL (The Hunter) - Yamaha F250
Grassy Key, Marathon
<*)))))><

Last edited by Hunter; 02-18-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 PM

Keep livin the good life
5th
Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 PM

You ain't never coming back
Old 02-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Living the dream Don, glad you are enjoying it.