Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Sad, sad, day

Sad day today............................

As much as I look forward to fall fishing, the temperature drop this evening seems to signal the end of summer for me. Sometime around 4pm the wife looked at me and said, ""Lets go eat some steamed crabs tonight". We already had a pretty good breeze blowing and I knew the temps were falling. For the first time in the last 5 months (other than Church), I had to replace my Keen sandals for regular shoes. I love my Keen's. I have two pair, one for fishing, and one pair for dress.
Not only did I have to change shoes, but I put on a pair of denim long pants and took a pullover jacket.
As I headed to some local crabhouses, I looked at the flags flying as we drove. It looked like the wind was blowing from the north; so I headed for a place with a southern exposure. We picked a table on the deck that sat in the sun and also had a water view. We ordered a dozen crabs and a couple of beers and enjoyed the breeze and the sight of boats nestled in their slips.
The crabs arrived and with them came some melted butter and some vinegar. As we talked and ate, the temps continued to drop and the fall clothing felt good.
The warm crabs felt good on the fingertips. But; as we neared the end of the crabs, we could feel the fingers getting colder, and we noticed we weren't buying as many beers. When we got down to the final two crabs, we had to laugh; the melted butter had solidified. You could pick up the cup and turn it upside down!!!
So now I sit here in front of the computer with a warm cup of coffee, thinking about when the blues might leave and the rockfishing will pick up. Let the big girls start their migration back down the coast. I'll be waiting for them in my duck boots and hooded sweatshirt. I'll have to go survey my parachutes and see how many new ones I need. Rob (fishnut) has finally made some with a different color chin for me. I feel a special order coming on.
5th (Marty)