Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Man I Hate A Spinner!!

I've had it happen before, the fish starts spinning on the surface of the water as you try to reel it in. But the one yesterday was BAD, because it was on the longest line and it was a decent size fish. Took me at least 15-20 minutes to finally boat the fish and I was whooped. The fish appeared fine when he slapped his tail and took off, but knowing how bad my arms and shoulders ache today, I'm sure he's feeling it too.

Anybody have any clue why some fish do this???
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM

Heck, I would be glad to catch a fish...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
I've had it happen before, the fish starts spinning on the surface of the water as you try to reel it in. But the one yesterday was BAD, because it was on the longest line and it was a decent size fish. Took me at least 15-20 minutes to finally boat the fish and I was whooped. The fish appeared fine when he slapped his tail and took off, but knowing how bad my arms and shoulders ache today, I'm sure he's feeling it too.

Anybody have any clue why some fish do this???
"Rock" and roll ............Gary
Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 AM

Seems like when that happens to me it's always on the spoon portion of my WWB. Was yours on a spoon?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM

They can be a b*tch.
Only thing to do is slow way down and tighten the drag. We put the rod in a holder and just winch the spinner in.

No idea why some do that.
I've tried giving them slack - hoping they would right themselves but no luck.

Sometimes on a spoon - it lodges funny and acts like a diving lip , causing them to spin.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Best theory I've ever heard is that during the fish's initial struggle to get away they get a "cramp" in their side from overexertion.
I've also noticed that a lot of spinners are hooked funny.....one in the mouth, the stinger wrapped outside and hooked in a gill plate or exterior jaw.....so you're pulling them thru the water sideways.

The best thing I've found to do is horse it to the surface and crank as hard as you can to get it on "plane".....then just "ski" it in.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinsfishin View Post
Best theory I've ever heard is that during the fish's initial struggle to get away they get a "cramp" in their side from overexertion.
We were talking about it after it happened, and my fishing buddy had that same thought. It makes sense, especially since it was caught cleanly on a single bait.

I hate loosing tackle, but after about 10 minutes, I was really hoping that my knot would fail or the line would break!!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Had it happen to me twice before. Once I was out fishing with Skip and I thought I had the mother of all Rock on, well Skip merely laughed as he knew what was goin on and finally convinced me to put the rod in the side gunnel and just start crankin'... Second time i was on my boat and same thing, noticed fish was spinning so I immediately saved time and enery and went straight to the gunnel holder. As to why they do it... beats me. whatever everone else is sayin sounds good to me!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 PM

My theory on why they spin is...the hook hits a nerve, muscle, or something that temporarily paralyzes the fish. The fish is in the curled position since it turns after hitting the bait and when the hook is set, the fish is "stung" and gets stuck into that position until the hook is removed and pressure is released.