Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM

Default Nylon Hair Color

Hi Guys,

I recently started buying jigheads from Ralph at Junebug tackle and started tying my own parachutes. Not quite sure why as I already have a ton that I have bought over the years. Anyways, I have been using white, green and yellow chartuse hair. I recently bought two living social coupons that are good for 30 dollars each at alltackle. They sell a few different colors, such as dark blue, orange, green. My question is do you guys use any of this color hair?

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 PM

For me....White and green chartruse only.

How you doing with the parachute tying? I took Ralph up on his offer and have just about finished re-tying all of mine that were in need of it. Waiting on the mylar I want to use before I tie my lighter lures; should be here Monday.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
For me....White and green chartruse only.

How you doing with the parachute tying? I took Ralph up on his offer and have just about finished re-tying all of mine that were in need of it. Waiting on the mylar I want to use before I tie my lighter lures; should be here Monday.
Don,

Thanks for the reply. Ralph is a great teacher and took the time to teach me also. When I got home I had a hard time on the first few i did. I was using "D" thread, it was breaking on me and I was having some trouble getting the hair even on the head. I have since bought some "E" thread and got the hang of twisting the hair around evenly.

Steve
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM

I used to run a few 7 Up lures ( lemon / lime ). They were half white on bottom and half chartreuse on top part.

Warren's in Glen Burnie ( closed forever ) sold a matching shad.

I did OK with it. I also like half dark blue / half white in early spring. I have matching shads.

Most bait fish are light on bottom / dark on top. Makes sense they will hit a two color lure.

The guys selling them prefer single colors as it is easier / faster to tie.

It's fun to experiment with different color combos. Cool thing tying them yourself - it it is a dud , you can cut hair off and tie a new one.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Agree with Don on the standards...But Skip brings up a great point...

There is nothing like catching something on you own unique lures...Different colors, different materials, etc...Heck of a time when you are out there and "your" lure is the one that gets hit...

I know we all like to catch a lot, but a lot of it is fishing as well, and the best way to learn is to try new things out....

Ya only live once, experiment !
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM

I like to mix hair colors but I always have white hair on the bottom. I really enjoy tying my own chutes. FWIW.... I use 12lb Red cajun to tie in place of E thread. I feel I can get the hair tighter to the collar and I dont have to seal the thread
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM

For years I ran all white parachutes with white shad on one side of the boat, and all chartruese parachutes with chartruese shad on the other side. I killed fish. Then over the last few years I have been experimenting with different color combinations like multi-color hair, shad not matching the hair color, different head colors, multi color shad. I have caught significantly fewer fish since starting to experiment with colors. April 16 I am going back to all white on one side and all chartruese on the other. Its fun to experiment but the standards are the standards for a reason.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Bend - Lure , IMHO there are just less Rock out there - might not be your lure colors.

It does seem each season there are " hot " color combos. Trick is dialing it in early.

One year - I tore them up with chartreuse parachutes and bright yellow shads.

Last year - it seemed white with green glitter was good. Few years before - purple glitter crushed them.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Last year - it seemed white with green glitter was good. Few years before - purple glitter crushed them.
Figures. I always seem to be a day late. Last year I had all purple and green glitter baits and didn't catch a thing

Don- Keep us posted on how the mylar works out. Where did you find it?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM

I'm going to ask a very dumb question:

Could you take an old mylar balloon and run it through a paper shredder to get the long strands needed for some of these lures?

//redneck OFF