Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Where I think the no-take slot will hurt is in recreation violations. DNR is going to have to be real-clear on how fish are measured. For me I have always flat tailed measure just to make sure we are over a mark. What happens if an officer can squeeze a tail a tad more than the boat did. A 35.5" fish can go over 36" with a tail squeeze. A flat ruler vs a tape that curves on the fish can add a 1/4" or more too. DNR noted that there was a significant increase in violations with the last time we had a no-take slot. Hopefully they will do a good job at notifying and education to help reduce that. Also if they are in place multiple years, participants will have a better understanding.

I should note that I also fear people screaming about release mortality too. Though I believe the release mortality to be very low (especially in the colder water) and the slot will reduce overall mortality, it is only going to take a few photos of floating big fish to tug at some's heart strings. The battle over C&R will heat up again too.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I should note that I also fear people screaming about release mortality too. Though I believe the release mortality to be very low (especially in the colder water) and the slot will reduce overall mortality, it is only going to take a few photos of floating big fish to tug at some's heart strings. The battle over C&R will heat up again too.
You may want to call DNR and ask, but I believe a tail squeeze is the correct way to keep yourself out of trouble.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:39 PM

Reds / others - When we had the slot limit before , a good friend of mine was checked at Sandy Point by two DNR officers.

The fish was just a kiss under 36 when on measuring stick but over a kiss when officer pinched the tail.

The two officers were not sure which was correct way to measure. One wanted to give him a citation - other thought fish was legal.

My friend argued the point - sounded like it got ugly real quick , knowing him.

End result - DNR let him keep the fish but told him next time to pinch the tail.

Now it gets better - same guy , week later at Solomons with a pinched tail Rock at 40 1/4. Officer checks and flat tail it is just under 40 inches.

He explained what officers at Sandy Point had told him - this officer said that was wrong.

I agree - the slot makes for honest mistakes. IMHO - 36 flat tail is simple / easy.

With this new slot - I'll likely C/R any just over 35 inches to avoid confusion. Over 40's I usually C/R anyway.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:01 PM

Reds I believe you are correct that it is the pinched tail.

However this all goes to my point that there will be confusion, especially with the occasional weekend warriors, and this will cause more problems than the simplified 36" and up regulations (to which the ASMFC Technical committee and Law Enforcement Committee both recommended)

Either way, I don't care but see where the no take slot may cause more PR problems.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Reds I believe you are correct that it is the pinched tail.

However this all goes to my point that there will be confusion, especially with the occasional weekend warriors, and this will cause more problems than the simplified 36" and up regulations (to which the ASMFC Technical committee and Law Enforcement Committee both recommended)

Either way, I don't care but see where the no take slot may cause more PR problems.
IIRC< I was at a TFAC meeting when the subject was brought up. The DNR high ranking officer said the tail had to be pinched to measure.

28 to 36" saves the cows and stops the crying from the people who can not catch, but think it's the lack of fish.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:15 PM

IMHO, the new regs should be:

Spring, (1) fish 28"-36", barbless hooks only

May-15-Dec-15, (1) fish 20"-28"
Old 02-13-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat09 View Post

I agree so long as the fishery is really as bad as some claim. I don't think it is. It's funny to me MSSA and the likes are the same groups saying there are no rockfish yet lobbying to have an over 40" limit.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat09 View Post

I agree with this 100%.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 PM

FWIW, one fish per person after 15 May would be devastating to the charter industry. While I am sure some would be okay with that, others aren't.

I agree with Greg, a lot of parties wait all year for trophy season so they can get their shot at big fish, however, there is also a large number of people who specifically wait until trophy season ends so that they can keep two fish.

Not many parties are going to be willing to pay $700+ to take home one 20" fish.

My fear is the number of 18" - 19 7/8" fish that will be killed while sorting through them to get a limit of 20"+ fish, especially come mid-August through September.

Last edited by Tawn; 02-13-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 PM

I agree with Tawn about needing two fish in the summer. I think it would be devastating to not only the charter industry but fishing participation in general if the summer creel were one fish. I know a lot of die hard fishermen support catch and release. I do to. However the bulk of the sport fishing population wants to keep fish. Most do not make the number of trips a year that diehards do either. Lets face it, the fish has so much value as table fare that there is commercial market for them. It is hard to tell someone who makes only a few trips per year at most that they can only keep one fish resident size fish per trip. They may not even buy a license for that.

Personally I dont have an issue with the 20" min but I run 4 packs and can search out larger fish on a given trip since I only have to find 8 fish. I dont have 10 people on board all hoping to catch their fish and can move off smaller fish or use larger spot. (lets not go down the road of limiting people who can fish or number of trips either as we are all sportfishing whether one is paying to fish from a with 10 other people boat or one fishing from a private boat). So I get Tawn's concerns here.

Most here have to remember that scientist are requesting a 25% reduction on the SSB, not a closure of striped bass fishing (they dont know if there is need for a reduction in the bay on resident fish yet as they are still developing the reference points). I know some wont be happy until no one keeps a fish but it is a God-given resource that is to be used wisely. Wisely being the key word and up for debate

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-13-2015 at 10:30 PM.