Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Default Okuma Convector 55 levelwind

Well, most of us know the quality of Penn reels have diminished now that they are being made in China. Just how much they have gone downhill is up for debate.

When I was at Tochterman's picking up my rods, I grabbed an Okuma 55 off the shelf and was looking at it. Tony's take on the reel was that they had a lot of problems when they were first introduced. They wouldn't hold up to constant use. Tony said the company made a commitment to improve their product and now they have drag washers that are almost double the size of Penn 330's and they have upgraded the line guide to titanium. I also believe the gears are larger as well.

It looks like you can pick up a new Okuma 55 for about $85. I know we can always get parts for Penn, but should that negate us buying a sturdy reel of another make?

Does anyone have any experience with the new model Okuma 55 that has been "beefed up"? At $85, will I be the ginny pig? I may pick two up and see how they compare to the Penn's.

Any comments?
5th (Marty)
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM

OKUMA - O K Unless Much Angling

Keep in mind the $85.00 price tag and do not compare it to a $185.00 Tekota and it will be fine.

You might want to open the new OKUMA up and grease the gears - plus put a thin layer of grease on the inside plates. This helps repeal water - almost like a gasket.

I just bought a couple new Penn 113H for $125.00. Solid reel but no level wind.

These are newer ones - fingers crossed but looks like Penn fixed a lot of their issues.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM

I have a few and have not had a problem with them but I only used them a few times. I really like there handle.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM

I have a different model Okuma; a spinning reel, and I loved the performance of it....I was cranking in big Bass with ease.

Then one day the handle detached itself from the stud that threaded into the reel.

Maybe some JB Weld will fix it....certainly no "super adhesive" has done the trick.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM

I bought 2 last year mostly for pulling #3 planers, big umbrellas and mojos. They have had a workout this season but have not reeled in any big fish. I'm happy with them. I'd be curious to see how they held up on a Charter but think they would be fine for the average rec.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Penn had some early assembly problems with their conventional reels when they were first being produced in China. Far as I can tell, the bugs have been worked out and the recent H2/GT2 reels are well made. They are much more corrosion resistant than the older vintage Penns. I have sold all of my non-Penn conventional reels, with the exception of one Tekota 800 reel and that will be sold this summer. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel when it comes to conventional reels; Penns are the best for the money. Yes they cost a few dollars more but in the long run they are well worth it (availability of parts, ease of repair and maintenance, proven designs, resale value, etc.).

That "upgraded levelwind (LW)" in the Okuma might be made with titanium but it is still mounted in an Okuma frame and the true test will come when line coming through the line guide is not aligned with the line on the spool with a large fish tugging like hell. Ever seen an over worked 209 or 309 with a cock-eyed line guide.

Last edited by drichitt; 01-11-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Thanks Don; I was waiting for your response since you tear them apart and repair them.
5th (Marty)