Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Default Finally Upper Bay Good News

So after what seems like months (well it has been months) of waiting for the upper bay to start heating up, I think it just may well have...

Friday, Spot77 and I tried in a number of good areas in the upper bay on the western shore....We pretty much got skunked...I saw a report about some hardheads at Poddickery and thought about going on Saturday or Sunday then thought I would put it off thinking that a day would not change much....By Monday I could not sit still and had to get out...So here is what Monday brought me....

Upper Bay, above the bridge on the western side...Water temps are getting well into the high 70's...Clarity is much, much improved from even a week ago...The Sonar was full of more fish than I have seen all year...As the sunset approached there were even a few breakers...Bait was everywhere..I was able to land a half dozen 15 to 17 hardheads, a decent 16" striper, and more perch than I could count....The hardheads went after the usual...Shrimp fresh from the deli counter..Right on the bottom...Only a little movement needed to get a strike...They bit hard as heck and proved why they are so much fun to fish for...All looked great...The striper took to clams just above the bottom and by the way I talked to a guy who was out in a Jon boat (it was just about glass after 6:00 PM) and he had two very, very nice stripers at least 24" in his boat and both were fat....Lastly the perch hit everything shrimp, clams, gulp bloodworms, you name it....

The common themes were drifting, 18 to 23 foot of water, bait (not plastics, although I tried storms, BKD's, and spoons), and placement in the bottom third of the water column...

I can only hope the rest of the summer is like yesterday and not like most of the spring...

Good luck to all !

Mike
Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM

Go get em' Mike. Keep me posted.
5th (Marty)
Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Very good report Mike! Please keep them coming....Bob
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the report