Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Default Dad's birthday (belated ) wish comes true / Breezy 11/26 w pics

My father turned 84 years old on Wednesday and wanted to go fishing but forecast was not good so we postponed until today. I fished PLO yesterday and did not get home until 8:00 pm so my dad agreed to a later start today. We left at 7:00 am and got to Breezy at 8:15. I was surprised to see only about 15 trailers there.

We launched on a very low tide and headed SSE towards the CP buoy. Radar showed a lot of boats there so we stopped about 2 miles short in 55 feet on west side. My dad's birthday wish was to get a nice Rockfish so we put out all big lures. Weather was perfect - bay was almost calm , unusual for November.

While I put out the boards and rods , my dad steered the boat and watched the fish finder - calling out the depth he was seeing bait or fish. Not a lot of bait and only a few fish had me worried. Took about 30 minutes to get 18 rods out and then I took over the helm so dad was free to grab a rod when a fish hit. Worked east /west off the power plant , circling a bait pocket in 65 feet. Knew we were on slack current and hoped incoming would get the bite started. Pulled away from the bait as a container ship headed down the bay. Went across to east side but saw crab pot floats in 65 feet. Only good thing - they had orange flags on them.

Heard a few trollers complaining they had lost expensive gear to pots not marked as well. Moved the downriggers to 60 feet of cable out - hoping to pick off one of the deep fish we spotted now / then. We talked about all the fun we've had over the years out here and other stuff that seems to come up while on a boat. Worked towards the CP marker and just missed hitting some low laying crab pot floats - in between the CP and the yellow weather buoy. Had it been choppy - I never would have seen them. Swung wide of those lure snatchers and heard a planer board rod go THUD. Oh yeah , it hit a 12 inch pearl shad tandem out 110 feet. Dad got the rod down and tried to wrestle the fish to the boat. I steered a slight curve to starboard to cut the fish off.
My dad wedged into the corner - I'll never tire of seeing him fighting fish there.

The downrigger with a chartreuse tandem bounced and we had another fish. I hit auto pilot and grabbed that rod. It came to the transom quick and I swung the fat 26 incher over the side without the net. Dad kidded me that I would not be doing this with his fish. I teased him back - asking him if he planned to land it before his next birthday. The fish honestly was giving him a tough time but slowly was coming to the boat but planing deeper as bigger fish often do. I moved two rods out of the way to clear the corner and soon saw the swivel.

What happened next is known as a cluster f*ck. My dad and I have landed many big fish together and have a well rehearsed routine. The first part went well - dad putting the leader into my hand. Next he put the rod in the holder so he could and grab the net. So far so good. The net webbing some how got tangled on the spring cleat and prevented my dad from getting it ready. Here I am with a big Rock next to the boat shaking her head trying to get away. Took a gamble and grabbed her jaw and held on tight as I swung her up over the gunwale and into the cockpit.
Looked at my dad and said - Happy Birthday. We let the bigger Rock go most times but this one was hooked deep in the gills. Happens now / then with the bigger fish - nothing can really be done to prevent it. Fish taped out at 42 inches and weighed 35 lbs.

My dad was trying to lift the beast up but I had to stop him. He has an aneurism and the doctor has warned him lifting heavy items could cause it to burst. The doctor has explained to the family - if it does , nothing can be done. My dad told me if it happens on the boat - to finish the day out , just cover him up.

I tied the fish to a rope and hung her off the rod rack. Once the fish were iced down - we decided to eat lunch.
Might have gotten two bites of lunch when an outside planer board rod with a Tony #21 got hit. The rod buckled down and drag screamed off the reel. Now if you know me - I fish very tight drags. The 42 my dad just landed pulled 5-6 clicks but this thing tore off some line. Just as I got the rod down - felt the tension let off. Reeled in and every thing was fine - our theory is the huge Rock grabbed the spoon and closed it's mouth tight and once it felt the tension of the rod - spit the lure out and the hook missed catching it. That one was a heart breaker - we both knew it was a monster. Re set the rod and washed the cockpit again as I had missed some blood. Worked the area and saw a nice single fish at 20 feet. The rod in center of transom went down and dad grabbed the rod. Wish I had a camera ready - he kneeled on the bench seat but lost his footing on the wet deck and the fish pulled him across the transom. I'll give him credit - he had locked an arm under the rod so he would not lose it over board. Helped him get up and he reeled in a nice 33 incher. Landing this one went easy.

Noticed it had a cut off red tag in it's side. Figured this fish had been through at least three captures. First to be tagged , second to have tag cut off and now third for us. The stub has a number on it - be interesting to find out it's history.

We trolled back along the east edge but did not get any more fish. Did not matter - it was a great day just to be out there. Clouds moved in and we pulled in the spread. Weather was still nice.

Ran back to Breezy at 30 knots over smooth seas.

Stopped in at the Breezy Point fishing center to enter dad's fish into the Md fishing challenge. We were driving home and dad put in his next year's birthday wish - a repeat of this one. I hope we can do it again next year too.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 PM

Great report Skip, and a BIG happy birthday to your dad! He sounds like someone I'd really like.

The water was indeed flat as glass in most areas of the bay today it seems. I crissed the bridge twice today, once in the morning and again early afternoon, and it was BEAUTIFUL out on the water both times.

Your beastly fish looks good and healthy, and no sea lice. It sure would be nice to see fish like that around here year round.

Thanks for the great report....I love hearing about, and seeing peoples' catches.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Spot - You'll have to tag along one time when my dad goes - he still fishes 100%.

The bigger fish had a few sea lice - I had to wash her off due to all the blood.

I was told the bay could not support these huge fish all year , one reason they migrate to the ocean once they get around 28 inches or so.

Some stay but the bulk leave to feed on larger bait in the ocean.

Our bay is more of a nursery ground for many fish.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Spot - You'll have to tag along one time when my dad goes - he still fishes 100%.

The bigger fish had a few sea lice - I had to wash her off due to all the blood.

I was told the bay could not support these huge fish all year , one reason they migrate to the ocean once they get around 28 inches or so.

Some stay but the bulk leave to feed on larger bait in the ocean.

Our bay is more of a nursery ground for many fish.
That sounds like fun.

Makes sense about the migration of those big fish.