Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Default 11/ 2 Love Point area

Made the mistake of planning to launch from Sandy Point at 8:00 am. Idea was to let sun come up so we could see on the run out. Did not figure on a broken down car on I- 97 , took an hour to reach the ramp , normal time is about 25 minutes.

My friends John and Fred were waiting for me and we made quick work of launching. Had plan A , B and C which resulted in about 22 rods and 4 tackle boxes . Plan A was to troll , B was to LTJ and C was to bottom fish for Perch. Tide was already high - even though it was not predicted to be flood until about 11:00.

Ran to eastern Rockpile and saw little current. Throw a few jigs for about 10 minutes but then ran NE towards Love Point. Still have to watch for logs and deep water crab pots. Running north - got near LP buoy and saw a fog bank. Slowed as it engulfed the boat and visibility dropped to about 1/8 mile. Put a 6 rod spread over in 45 feet and worked north while watching radar for other boats.

Had a white umbrella and a chartruese one on downriggers at 30 and 35 feet of cable. Two rods were back 100 feet with 12 and 16 ozs with white bucktails. One rod back 150 feet with 6 carried a Tony #15 and last rod was a green June Bug spoon umbrella out 200 feet with 6 ozs.

Saw a weird blip on radar - my guess was a Jon boat as it seemed to be fuzzy / low to water. Fog cleared and we saw what we thought to be a canoe but it was a huge log . Stayed well away from that one. Saw a lot of fish on meter but no hits. Few times I hit auto pilot on and went to the cockpit - convinced 3-4 rods were about to be hit. Fog cleared off fast and we zig zagged up to 30 foot curve where most crab pots are. Got a 21 incher off the chartruese umbrella to break the ice. Next fish hit the spoon umbrella but was only 17 inches. Added weight to the deeper rods as most marks were below 20 feet.

Near Love Point - saw fish on bottom so re rigged the Tony #15 to a bottom bouncer with 16 ozs. Let it out slow until it hit bottom. Took about a half hour but that adjustment paid off. John reeled in a nice 31 that was heavy for it's length. That fish made the day and boosted our spirits. Swung around and sure enough - same rod got hit and Fred reeled in a nice 26 incher.

Added a second deep Tony to the spread and circled the area for about an hour but no more hits. Water was all but flat and time flew by - it was now about 1:30. We trolled west towards Baltimore light and worked the deep channel edges there. Got a 22 incher on a gold spoon from June Bug - labeled jigging spoon but worked good when trolled . That made four keepers in the box. Trolled back towards the ramp and got one more about 19 inches off a bucktail with 6 inch shad. Pulled lines at 3:30 and headed back in.

Only saw 2-3 Loons diving - no gulls at all. Lot of bait and fish on the meter - not sure why it was a tough bite.
Never did get to try for Perch.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Never did get to try for Perch.
Sounds like you didn't need to waste your time with them....unless you really like eating them.

Googling June Bug Spoon right now......

Thanks for a great report Skip!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Sounds like you put some miles on the boat and it paid off. Thanks for the report and also the Intel you gave me last night they were there but could not get them to bite.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com