Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM

Default Broke a virgin in / spanked and bent over - PLO w pics

Ok - maybe drinking before posting is not the best idea but here goes.

Fished on Friday and plan was to launch from Breezy Point. Stopped in Bowie for fuel at 6:30 and heard winds of less then 10 knots. Decided to gamble and head to Point Look Out. Had friends Joe , Alberto and Alnevez. Did not get to PLO until about 8:15 but the crew readied the boat fast and out we ran. Headed to #66 and set up on almost calm seas. Rare to see that at PLO in fall.

Meter was showing nice bait balls and a few fish but most was deep. I had a virgin along - brand new Steve F custom built trolling rod. Some one ordered it but did not pick it up. I heard about the rod and Steve and I worked out a deal. Put a 320 Penn on it and 50 lb braid. Nice rod - limber tip but plenty of backbone. Gave her the choice spot - 110 feet off the starboard board. The other rods seemed jealous and the oldest outfit - wire line reel about 35 years old , got the first fish. Joe drew the lucky straw and soon was fighting a Rock. It hit a 20 oz MoJo / Tony #21 tandem but did not pull hard. We all laughed at the greedy 24 incher that ate a spoon half it's size. Joe smiled - he had a nice fish for dinner.

We worked on / off the channel edge and the VHF chatter told of a slow bite. Soon got a fish off the board but it was a Menhaden - snagged on the lure. Current started to move in coming and we trolled into 55 feet on west edge - careful to avoid crab pots. Heard the thunk of a planer board rod and sure enough - it was the virgin outfit. Alnevez slowly pulled the rod from the holder - easing her gently into the game. Her back was arching as she was bent over by the weight of a nice fish. This being her first time - Alnevez took his time and pumped slowly but firmly. The fish came to the boat and the new rod quivered as the fish was netted.

The fat 38 incher carried it's weight well and made the long drive worth the effort. The other rods seemed to approve of the virgin's first time. She did well but was put back out while the braid was still wet. We hoped to see her bent over again. The fish hit a Spankin' Striper John Deere parachute - I'm starting to like this lure.

We circled the area and got another fish - this one on a white umbrella 200 feet back. Not sure if Alberto was being nice or smart - but he let Joe reel this one in. Little better but still under 30.

Hardly had that one on ice when a tandem off the board got hit. Alberto reeled in a 26 incher. My crew all had a fish so next one would be mine. I must have been eyeing up the new rod too much because one of the other old timers got the next fish. No monster but the plump 27 would make a nice dinner. Continued to circle and had to work to stay in the area with bait. Incoming current was running fast and carried many boats well north. Next fish hit the 200 back umbrella and Alnevez reeled in a 32 incher. Few boats were starting to pull up and head in but we hung in there. Now / then a Gannet would drop and we hoped it would turn on soon. Got number six off a tandem - it hit the white sparkle parachute. Another about 29 - an over but not by much. Time was working against us and we agreed to pull lines at 4:20 - roughly 45 minutes away. Trolled the area and continued to mark good bait and fish. Varied the RPM but no luck with that old school trick. Started to pull lines on port side and a tandem on starboard got hit. I thought it was bigger but the fat 24 was a spinner . Did not matter how it got into the box - made for a good ending. Just as we netted it - the now rested virgin did a nice little dance and then bent over in a sweet manner. The 28 incher was no match for the now broken in rod and we ended with a last minute limit as the sun sank low.

Had 6 miles to the ramp and made it in about 12 minutes as darkness engulfed the ramp. Had to smile at the near perfect timing of this trip. Laid all the rods down for the ride back and noticed the oldest outfit tight against the new one. Hope to fish this new rig for 35 years as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Well Skip I think you should drink more often before posting a report, this one was a good one. Glad to hear that the virgin rod caught a nice fish and had no problem hauling in that fat 38"er. I can’t thank you enough for bailing me out with that rod, it did turn out neat looking and like you said, it has the ass to pull in a nice fish but a nice soft tip for a fun fight. Thanks for the report and the next time get a shot of the rod, not to many of them out there that look like that one.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Laid all the rods down for the ride back and noticed the oldest outfit tight against the new one. Hope to fish this new rig for 35 years as well.

So they were "spoon" ing???? Ugh...sorry...bad fishing lure joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Well Skip I think you should drink more often before posting a report, this one was a good one.
I second that!

Speaking of seconds, this is at least the second time in 2 weeks that someone has posted a nice fish caught on the John Deere colors. I guess I'll be adding some to the collection for next year.