Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Default Anyone have Image Stabilizing binoculars?

I just sold my hunting stuff to focus on fishing so I think a nice pair of I.S. binoculars could be in order. I was considering the Canon 10x42 L IS WP but before dropping a sizable chunk of change, I thought I would ask you all if anyone has experience with Canon's IS versions.

If I go with standard binocs, I am definitaly going with Vortex Razor HD 8 x 42. A buddy has a pair and they are SWEEEEEET! Come with a lifetime warranty- no questions asked!!! This is waaaay better than the Canon 3 year limited and the Vortex cost less as well.
Main intended use will be on the boat though so think it makes sense to go the image stabilizing route. I know they won't "flatten the seas" but it has to be better than standard. Thoughts??

Remember the boat I "don't see" could be yours!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM

Don and Dan ( both on this board ) have them. They are great for finding birds, reading the names of other boats, and even for looking for bait busting the surface. They can tell you the magnification. I have used their binoc's on several occasions and they work really well.
I may be mistaken, but I think they bought them on eBay for less than retail
5th (Marty)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM

I have a pair of Canon Image Stabilizer Binoculars 12x36.I really like them but they are a little heavy if you let them hang around your neck. I bought my a hayneedle.com or Ebay I cant remember.I have my for three years now with no problems.What I found is you can spend a lot of money quick on IS Binoculars.I think Canon is the best deal for the money.

Dan[1morecast]
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morecast View Post
I have a pair of Canon Image Stabilizer Binoculars 12x36.I really like them but they are a little heavy if you let them hang around your neck. I bought my a hayneedle.com or Ebay I cant remember.I have my for three years now with no problems.What I found is you can spend a lot of money quick on IS Binoculars.I think Canon is the best deal for the money.

Dan[1morecast]
Thanks for the info Dan, still not sure which ones I am going to get yet. Good thing is the boat is on the hard so I have 3 months to shop 'em.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 PM

I did a lot of research before I decided on the Nikon Stabileyes 14x40 binoculars about 4 years ago. They are amazing, not only can I see you net your fish but I'll also see the lure in its mouth. I'm pretty sure they are made by Fujinon and when I bought them they were about the same price as these... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=USA&A=details I don't know why but now the Nikons are more expensive, so after reading reviews like this one...http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/fujinon-14x40.htm I'd buy the Fujinons.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
I did a lot of research before I decided on the Nikon Stabileyes 14x40 binoculars about 4 years ago. They are amazing, not only can I see you net your fish but I'll also see the lure in its mouth. I'm pretty sure they are made by Fujinon and when I bought them they were about the same price as these... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=USA&A=details I don't know why but now the Nikons are more expensive, so after reading reviews like this one...http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/fujinon-14x40.htm I'd buy the Fujinons.
Thanks for the great review link, I think it makes sense to go with the Fujinon. I appreciate all the helpful input.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:25 PM

What do you need binoculars for with that bird cooker of a radar?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
What do you need binoculars for with that bird cooker of a radar?
Radar picks up boats but not the bikinis on those boats, that's why you need the binoculars