Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Default 10/24/15 Birds, Birds, and more Birds

All I can say is wow...Hopefully I can link some video for people to see, I need to down load it from the GoPro it was amazing...

Oldest son and I headed out spent an hour moving across the bay from west to east, finally near love point we saw some birds...Long story short, at one point there were 20+ boats with everyone catching...We looked up about 30 minutes into the bird storm and every single boat had stopped fishing and started taking pictures and video...It was really amazing...

This has been one hell of an October for me, hope it is treating you all the same.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:43 PM

And the size of the fish were............?

And the time of day was........?
Old 10-25-2015, 05:44 PM

Glad to hear you've been having a good month. The pic of the birds you sent me yesterday was quite impressive.

It was a tough weekend for the Justified - jigged millions of small fish Sat just south of Bodkin Creek and caught 1 on the troll.
Today ran to West River based on some good Intel but only caught 1 small.
Good news is didn't have to clean my fillet knives

Old 10-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Details, details, details...

So Marty here is more of the story....Smallest fish were around 12" or so, we got a few around 19 to 20...Was not fishing for bigger fish, they all went back, and would have regardless...Looking at the time stamp on the attached picture it was taken at 1:30 so I am guessing we had those birds and fish from 1 to 3...

We were southeast of the Red #6 marker on the Chester side of Love Point....The fish stayed in the deeper water in the center of the channel. Depth mostly around 20' give or take a few feet...

When the fish were really boiling on the surface we pulled out the 4 and 1/2 foot Ugly Stick Ultra Lights with Mitchell 300's. (I love that combo)...When they started to slow down a bit we ran 2 Medium Action Ugly Sticks with Shimano Symetre reels and small drone spoons...The other 2 were Ugly Stick Striper rods with Okuma Avengers. On those we ran 1 small 1.5 oz bucktail and one 3 oz bucktail both with twister tails on them....All white...

The best lures of the day were the small bucktail and the drone spoons....I am about to invest in drone spoons, I think this was the year I figured out how to really present them, because they have really, really worked....

I did give a shout out to Jeff and to Craig White...Craig showed up with some friends and they were able to get some fish...They missed most of the action, eating lunch in Rock Hall....

Marty when are you going to get out again ? I know you like the mornings better but most of my trips have been in the evening, work has been crazy since the middle of the summer...

Maybe we can get out soon ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lots of Birds.jpg (93.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20151024_130242.jpg (89.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Fish.jpg (3.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:21 PM

Mike; had our best day in a while on Monday with the 9 keepers. Lots of small fish under birds, but like you said, that action seems to be best in late afternoon.

I'll be out looking for keepers in the morning. I may run south to troll, then look for birds on the way home (later in the day).

Thanks for the details Mike. If you had 24-28 inch fish, I would have stayed north.

Like I said, 9 keepers last monday, so I changed everything around this afternoon on the boat I know, I'm crazy
5th