Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post
Steve, I don't know anything about Penn reels. I would love to troll with these because they are the biggest in my arsenal. It seems as though there is not alot of adjustment in the star drag. When I tighten it down it is really too tight because I can't pull any line off the reel. Thanks, Bob
It sounds like something isn’t right with them. The Penn 113H in my experience are strong & robust drag systems. If you turn them tight they will lock up or nearly lock up allowing no line to come off. A drag washer may need replacing. Just remember Starr Drags aren’t like the level drag systems they are a little bit touchy at times.
My father has reworked our reels each reel s drag performs similar to each other we set them up this way by placing shims and such to get the desired drags when broke in the HT100 drag system is smooth. I will put a scale on each of these reels and see what range of drag I am getting soon. Once again if you crank down hard enough on the Starr it will lock up.

I can pull a number 3 planner with my 113 at 10 knots with no drag pulling out. But still have enough play if a big fish hits.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 01-11-2010 at 02:15 PM.