Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Default Richmond Fishing Show

I took a drive with a couple of buddies to Richmond this past Saturday to go to the annual Fishing Expo. I don't attend a lot of shows so I don't have a whole lot of comparison to go with but overall the show was very nice. There was a good mix of fresh and saltwater tackle merchants but I'd say freshwater was more prevalent. Everything you could need for crappie to giant Blue Cats was there.

On the salt side, there were some good custom lure makers and I picked up a couple of parachutes and daisy's that I've attached pictures of. The parachutes have two silver ribbons mixed into the hairs on each side. I've never seen that before so I thought I would put them in my spread and try them out. The daisy's have 3 teasers but 1 of the teasers is a spinner. I've got the dealer info if anybody wants to try them out.

There were some good seminars and Capt. Max King ( http://www.captainmaxking.com/Home.html ) did a great seminar on eeling.

Overall I'd give the show a grade of "B". I would have like to have seen more custom lure makers. A lot of the exhibitors were just reselling stuff you can get anywhere. The boat show focused more on bass boats although they were some nice ones!

Topped the drive home off with stopping at the Iron Skillet at 301 and 95 for the best Chicken Fried Steak you can find on the East Coast!

DaisySpin.jpg

ParaRibbon.jpg
Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Keith; sounds like a good way to spend a day. We have been using the chutes with mylar mixed in for about a year. My thinking is to use them on the lighter lures (2-4 oz) in either singles or tandem combinations. If they ride hoigher in the water; the sun should more easily reflect off of them. I can't say if they work BETTER than your average lure, but they do catch well.
Bring a couple the next time we fish. 5th (Marty)
Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Keith; sounds like a good way to spend a day. We have been using the chutes with mylar mixed in for about a year. My thinking is to use them on the lighter lures (2-4 oz) in either singles or tandem combinations. If they ride higher in the water; the sun should more easily reflect off of them. I can't say if they work BETTER than your average lure, but they do catch well.
Bring a couple the next time we fish. 5th (Marty)
Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Wow! You went to Richmond and didn't allow time for a stop at Green Top?

Shame on you!

http://www.greentophuntfish.com/
Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Wow! You went to Richmond and didn't allow time for a stop at Green Top?

Shame on you!

http://www.greentophuntfish.com/
I love Green Top. Getting to Richmond isn't as far of a trip for me as it is for others so it wasn't on my stopping list.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I love Green Top. Getting to Richmond isn't as far of a trip for me as it is for others so it wasn't on my stopping list.
Ah you're a lucky man. I love that place. The people were so nice, and the bathrooms were superclean (Fortunate for me, as the Waffle House meal I had earlier in the day totally disagreed with me )
Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Ah you're a lucky man. I love that place. The people were so nice, and the bathrooms were superclean (Fortunate for me, as the Waffle House meal I had earlier in the day totally disagreed with me )
I've never really paid attention to how clean the ****ters are at Green Top but that's useful info. Maybe I'll load up on whole grain oatmeal and Habanero salsa before I head there next time !
Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I've never really paid attention to how clean the ****ters are at Green Top but that's useful info. Maybe I'll load up on whole grain oatmeal and Habanero salsa before I head there next time !
I drive a LOT for work; learning where the great ****ters are is a priority.

Isn't there a Bass Pro right around the corner from Green Top?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I drive a LOT for work; learning where the great ****ters are is a priority.

Isn't there a Bass Pro right around the corner from Green Top?
There's a Bass Pro and a Gander all within a few miles of Green Top. Not sure of the logic behind grouping the three so close together. The BP his huge (bigger than arundel mills anyway) but the saltwater section leaves much to be desired. I haven't hit the Gander but hear it's not that great. Green Top is best of them all.