Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2010, 04:31 PM

As I stated, we need better data collection. MRFSS is a disaster and was never intended for how it is being used. However, the way I am reading this new registration program is that every angler on the boat will need to be registered seperately. So, if I am to take a buddy fishing once a year, he will be obligated to purchase a FIN to fish one day on my boat. My bet is that most people in that situation will for go the day of fishing as not worth the hassle. This will greatly weaken the economic and political impact of the recreational fishing.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 PM

U can register before....

I don't see why they cant get all of our information from the databases that contain the information when we sign up for our state licenses...

It was easy enough, but sooner or later I think they are going to make us sign up with the Dept of Justice, Dept of Homeland Security, AARP, YMCA, NASA, etc.....
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 AM

Did mine,Not happy about Paying for another "Fee" next year though!!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM

I agree with Greg that this is an onerous requirement for folks who go out on someone's boat once a year. If anything, I think that the boat owner should register and keep track of the catch on their boat. But for everyone to register is overkill and another government intrusion into our lives. BTW, what is the fine for not have one of these licenses?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
But won't it be better than the data being collected by MRFSS?
Nope, data will be no better than what is produced now - there is no required reporting of catch data - just a requirement to give your name, address, and phone number (and pay another fee next year). Just another government BS program.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Nope, data will be no better than what is produced now - there is no required reporting of catch data - just a requirement to give your name, address, and phone number (and pay another fee next year). Just another government BS program.
I agree with that. There is no way to enforce this reporting as there is no way to enforce the checking of deer in MD anymore. Just another fee.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
I agree with that. There is no way to enforce this reporting as there is no way to enforce the checking of deer in MD anymore. Just another fee.
Will there really be another fee? If MD gets it's act together and the MD legislature approves it, MD license holders will be exempted from having to pay the additional fee (I think). Not sure of all of the details, but I would assume everyone would need to register with MD (as part of obtaining a MD fishing license) and then MD would submit the info to NOAA. Currently the problem is those who fish in the ocean don't have to have a MD fishing license when fishing in MD waters; have to figure out how to get the ocean anglers in the new system.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the link Jim! This will make doing it a lot easier!

Don
Old 01-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
Will there really be another fee? If MD gets it's act together and the MD legislature approves it, MD license holders will be exempted from having to pay the additional fee (I think). Not sure of all of the details, but I would assume everyone would need to register with MD (as part of obtaining a MD fishing license) and then MD would submit the info to NOAA. Currently the problem is those who fish in the ocean don't have to have a MD fishing license when fishing in MD waters; have to figure out how to get the ocean anglers in the new system.

Don, The people fishing OC will more than likely have to have a license in 2011. This is just my opinion, but I have heard the idea thrown around. OC is not happy with requiring licenses in OC since a portion of the people fishing are just weekly tourist. I think people are also scared of giving Maryland an excuse to implement a fee. The registration is going to cost us next year if Maryland doesn’t comply. I can see some in political power using this to grab some more money. Honestly, I love the ease of the boating sticker. The easiest way to achieve compliance with the feds and use the Maryland licensing as a data collection system would be to eliminate the boat sticker. This would require all fishermen buy a saltwater license and submit there info. Unfortunately, I think this would also require land owners to purchase a license for fishing off of there private pier.

Catch Shares are bad news. The person with the most money gets all the shares.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 01-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
Honestly, I love the ease of the boating sticker. The easiest way to achieve compliance with the feds and use the Maryland licensing as a data collection system would be to eliminate the boat sticker. This would require all fishermen buy a saltwater license and submit there info. Unfortunately, I think this would also require land owners to purchase a license for fishing off of there private pier.
That's the way I see it going, too. The MD boat sticker would have to go away and you, your wife, your kids (over 16), brothers, cousins, friends, whoever you take out on your boat would have to buy their own individual MD Saltwater fishing license. The Boat Sticker was the best idea MD has come up with for ease of use in many years.

I think NOAA would get better information if just the boat (captain/owner) was registered and was responsible for reporting all fishing activity on his boat.

I can just imagine the answers NOAA would get on a phone survey if they called some of the guests on my boat - - - Where did you go fishing? "We were out in the bay somewhere near a lighthouse!" Did you catch any fish? "Sure did - a whole bunch of silver ones" How many did you keep? "We kept a few in a water bucket , then put them back in the bay later on a different hook". I meant, how many did you take home and what size were they? "Oh, I took home 4. Don't know how big they were, but they felt like about 20 pounds the way they pulled on the line!!" (Translation - he was fishing near Thomas Point, caught a dozen spot, tried livelining with no success, then caught 4 14" Croaker and took them home.)