Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Default Thanks Mark (Baldzilla)

With all the "Global Warming" going on the past decade, I was looking forward to some nice fishing this winter. The rockfish used to winter over in North Carolina, then many of them started to winter over in Virginia Beach; I was looking forward to the year they started to winter in the Chesapeake. Then Mark goes and buys some "Artic Armor" for this winter. We haven't had as cold a start to winter in a long time. Add in the wind, and it's downright uncomfortable out there. If I can catch a nice sunny day with little wind, I usually hit some ponds on the eastern shore for bass, crappie, and pickeral. This usually keeps me sane until the fishing and boat shows start. But; all I've been doing is bringing in more and more firewood to the house.

What has everyone else been doing? Anyone getting a line wet? I see Tyler's is having a sale soon, and the Timonium show is close, so I only need a few more days until mid month to get through. Stay warm!!! 5th (Marty)
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM

I know it's a bit of a hike for all you fancy pants bay bridge guys but the Richmond fishing expo is going on 15-17 Jan (in Richmond to boot..go figger ). It's huge!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM

I went to see Jim at Marty's today and picked up a few "goodies" for the upcoming season............................"the other Mark"
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM

I'm with ya, Marty. I don't mind normal cold weather, but all this wind just makes me want to stay inside. (I don't have as much extra natural protection from the wind a mlag does ). It does warm me up cutting wood for the fireplace though! Other than that, it's a good time to catch up on the to-do list of home repairs and upgrades that I never get to in the summer.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Packing right now for 2 weeks in Cancun. Florida isn't even warm enough right now. Sorry Marty, couldn't resist...Don
Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlag View Post
I went to see Jim at Marty's today and picked up a few "goodies" for the upcoming season............................"the other Mark"
I just missed ya on my stop at Jim's for some spring goodies.......gotta do something.....even the dog doesn't want to go out in this cold.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 01-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
If I can catch a nice sunny day with little wind, I usually hit some ponds on the eastern shore for bass, crappie, and pickeral. This usually keeps me sane until the fishing and boat shows start. But; all I've been doing is bringing in more and more firewood to the house.

What has everyone else been doing? Anyone getting a line wet? I see Tyler's is having a sale soon, and the Timonium show is close, so I only need a few more days until mid month to get through. Stay warm!!! 5th (Marty)
We tried some shore ponds last week and most were frozen over pretty good then. I imagine they're even worse by now. Wye Mills, Unicorn, Tuckahoe and one other semi-secret spot were no good.

The spillways at Tuckohoe and Unicorn were ok though and I did get a few tiny nibbles at Tuckahoe.

I think I'll stick to the Wii fishing game for a few weeks.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 PM

The spillways at Tuckohoe and Unicorn were ok though and I did get a few tiny nibbles at Tuckahoe.

Spot77; Have you checked out the lake on Noble road off of 404? I'm having a senior moment and can't think of it's name. The spillway usually holds some fish. 5th

Smithville Lake!!!!!!!

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 01-05-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post

Spot77; Have you checked out the lake on Noble road off of 404? I'm having a senior moment and can't think of it's name. The spillway usually holds some fish. 5th

Smithville Lake!!!!!!!
Yup, that's Smithville. I went there a few months ago and found there to be a massive fishkill in the lake. Hundreds and hundreds of fish floating on top, and stinking like hell. Shad, catfish, Pickerel, Bluegill and Bass.

And the SAV was so thick I couldn't move with my trolling motor. My gas motor barely got me through it.

BUT, I've never fished the spillway below the lake! I'll give it a shot soon as it warms up a bit.

The other spillway that ROCKS is right below Johnson's Pond in Salisbury. Last year on NYE some friends and I caught Crappie, Pickerel, Bass, Catfish and Stripers right there....all nice size too. The Striper was a nice surprise and at almost 24 inches it was tough to let him go. He must've been lost all the way up there!

Last edited by Spot77; 01-05-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Well in between snow storms I have managed to pour and paint my new spring spread and I finally got the boat down to Jaws for its service. I even made an extra 8 that I can grind off the barbs if necessary for c/r. Guess I'd better start some of the hunny do's soon.