Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 PM

Default 4 Rockfish and 14 recovered anchors 9/26 w pics

Yesterday at Sandy Point - some commercial divers told me they saw some anchors on the eastern side bridge pilings.

They might as well have tossed a dope head a kilo of heroin - no way I was not going after them.

Fellow Tfer mikebcfd has some weekdays off and agreed to stay top side on my boat. We launched from Sandy Point at 9:30 am - figuring slack water to be about noon. Game plan was to get Spot - live line four keeper Rock - then go after anchors.

Part one went well - we got about 15 Spot just outside crab pots in 15 feet. Ran east to much deeper water and set up over some fish. Mike got a nice 24 incher right away - this was going to be east limit , so we thought.

Not sure if either of us has even muffed so many good solid hits. Hooks folded back over the Spot , Spot bumped off hook on strike , Rock spitting out hook and mangled Spot just out of net reach. We did make good friends with a few sea gulls - they loved the dead Spot we pitched to them. Ran out of Spot so headed across to piling X. Got anchored as current was slacking. Called Md transportation police to inform them there would be a scuba diver at the piling.

Since 9-11 , need to tell them - but they are cool with it. Only rule - have to call when done.

Water looked nice and over I went. Swam to piling - then descended slowly. Could see easily three feet - for bay that is good. Once on bottom - just as other diver said - there was an anchor. Pulled it free and found another , then another. Wrapped them together and sent them up on lift bag.

Had to laugh - there are a lot of snagged lures down there. It looks like a BKD factory exploded. Swam around and found one more anchor.

Moved over to another one - figuring if one had anchors - other might as well. It was a game of hop scotch - Mike pulling in anchors - then moving boat to next piling.

The incoming current had brought clean water - viz. improved to four feet. I was in heaven - swimming around and being able to see fishing line before getting tangled and jellyfish before getting stung.

Saw a crab and brushed it but it did not move. Looking closer - saw it tangled up in old line. Quick snip and set the critter free. Could also see a few fish - Perch and small Rock. They ghosted me and swam in when I pulled anchor free - munching the stuff dislodged.

Current began out going but it was not too bad. Swapped out to new tank and went right back in. Found a real nice Fortess aluminum and a plow as well. Other anchors are danforth types. I plan to sketch out what I saw underwater - you LTJ guys will love inside info. Current got strong enough that it was getting hairy to continue and viz. was back to normal one foot or less.

Mike helped me get out of gear and I laughed at pile of anchors we'd be fishing over. No way we were going in - it was only 2:30 and perfect weather. Called bridge police to let them know we were down and dive flag stowed. Mike ran boat back to west side for Spot while I put on dry clothes. We found Spot where we left them and soon had 20 or so. Out going was ripping so we went to a piece of structure I like on out going. Rock did too and we got three in about 30 minutes.

Laid out anchors - 14 in total.

Plan to power wash them to get worst off. Think they'll be some for sale at fishing flea markets this winter - look me up if you need one or two.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Isn't the creel limit for anchors only 6 per person/day??

Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM

That live lining can be tricky sometimes I'm finding. I'm getting to the point where I almost always get bites, but hooking them is another matter.

I know where to go if I ever lose an anchor. No Skip, I wont ask you to risk your life and dive in the bay. I'll buy one off you that you already got while risking your live. I don't know what you have more of, guts or fishing skill.

Anyway, thanks for the report.

Don
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Don , trust me - if you hang an anchor in a risky area - I won't go after it.

Be really stupid to die for a hunk of steel. I've bailed on a few recovery jobs that got too hairy.

I was getting a little nervous last dive when Rock were around me. Good chance I killed their mother - waiting for them to attack.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 AM

The Capital's next headline, "Man Eaten by Rockfish found with the word "Retribution" tattooed on his forehead."