Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 AM

Default Where to buy crabs on way to PA (50/301 Eastern Shore) - Friday 23rd & advice?

Hey all,
Sorry, not a fishing report - but I could use a hand. Going to PA on Friday (23rd) for a party Saturday. Wanted to take up some crabs - maybe a bushel. Plan is to throw them in a 100qt marine cooler and cook them in PA. Need advice on:

1) Where to get them Friday morning? Will be driving from Bowie along 50, over the bridge, then up 301 through Delaware. Leaving Friday about 7 am. (4 hour drive total). Willing to drive off the beaten path...but not too far.
2) Your opinion - Cook Friday or Saturday?

Any other advice on taking crabs on a long ride to PA would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM

Bob, A sure bet for having crabs would be Harris Crab House under the Kent Narrows bridge by Red Eye's. As far as putting them in a cooler, that's a good idea but keep them out of any water from melted ice. I would also cook them right before you want to eat them as that's when they taste the best. Enjoy your party!..........Gary
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM

You can always go to Wye Mills and get them from Schnaitmans, right off the water. They are only 15-20 minutes from 50/301. 410.827.7663
12518 Wye Landing Lane, Wye Mills, MD Call a few days ahead to reserve.
I wouldn't put them in a cooler, because you can suffocate them.
John
Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 PM

So, if I'm buying them Friday morning - cooking them Saturday at lunch

Anything better than a cooler? Something better to do with them when I get to my folks place to keep them until Saturday? Any thought on how much die off I'd get?

I could cook them Friday when I get there and have them the next day...any thoughts on how to make day old crabs taste good? I personally like fresh cooked too (like Gary), but I've had them day old and they were acceptable...just not sure what to do.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Bob, A cooler is your best bet for transport. You just need to keep the lid open a bit to let air in. Keep it in the shade but make sure there is ice in it to keep them cool. If you get to PA and can put the bushel in the frig, that would be better. Cook them Saturday. if you lose a few, that's OK.........better than pre cooked crabs......Gary
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Bob, you will probably get a better price at Schnaitman's at Wye Landing but Harris is right on the way. At least you have a few options. Have a great feast!....Gary