Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Default 12/5/11 Chesapeake Beach Area

Well................................you haven't seen me post much lately because I haven't been doing very well. I've been lucky enough to get out on Don's (Hunter) boat and catch a few nice fish, but, I don't like giving out too much information when I'm a guest on someone elses ride.
We have a four boat rotation with Lou, Allen, Mark, and myself. We have been hitting the Ches. Beach/Cove Point area pretty hard with very limited success. Down south (Point no Point/Point Lookout) has produced nice fish and plenty of bait; however, our Mid Bay excursions have showed little bait and fish glued tightly to the bottom (holding 10 to fifteen feet off bottom). Yeah, Yeah, Jamie, I know just perfect for jigging.
However, we couldn't reach those fish in deeper water (70-90 ft) with our trolling gear. I figure my deepest rods are somewhere in the 35 ft range (no downriggers or dummy lines).
Today four of us took a leasurly ride out with Capt. John on Patent Pending. We left the dock at 8am under foggy conditions. We didn't run very far or fast in the fog so we dropped lines just north of 82. Immediately, we noticed bait and fish higher than all the other outings. Don't misunderstand, they were still deep, but spread throughout the lower fourty/fifty feet. We found more bait in the 75 ft depth of water, so we could reach those fish showing on the meter at 30-40 feet.
Our hot rod today was a lg umbrella with two slider baits (3 oz each) in white with 24 oz weights and out 8 bars on Penn 340's (96 ft ?). It picked up half of our 8 fish today. We had another fish on another umbrella out 13 bars with 16 oz weight, and 3 fish off the boards. Three overs were on the deep umbrella, while the boards only produced one over fish.
We did see about 50 birds working and sitting in shallower water closer to 80A and took a detour to check them out. The fishfinder lit up and bait and fish were stacked in 45 ft of water. NOT A SINGLE HIT!!! My only guess was that out 9 inch baits were too large for the fish seen on the meter. We had some 6 inch baits out, but even they were ingnored.
We went back to 82 and finished our limit back in 75 feet of water.

This part of the fall season has been really dissapointing. One or two fish per trip has been normal for me, so today was an anomally. It's either a sign of good things to come, or a fluke. Todays weather conditions may have been a factor as well. Foggy, overcast, the day before a front is coming through, and water as smooth as glass; who knows if this helped.
Best of luck, I hope this helps someone to put some fish in their cooler.
5th (Marty)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the report Marty. Hopefully it is a sign of good things to come, although time is getting short Could always make a run to Va. waters from PLO to extend the season a little

I fished the PLO area today without marking ANY bait to speak of. I did manage to pick up a half dozen fish, including 2 very nice overs.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 AM

Thanks Marty.

How long were you out?

We've been managing about a fish per hour over a 5 hour outing. Nothing big of course, but all keepers. So I can't really complain.

What I can complain about is the lack of bait and the lack of birds north of the bridge. We've been going out at least twice a week since May and have yet to see any good amount of birds. If we saw 50 birds, we'd probably think it was an alien invasion.

And we never marked any substantial bait at the mouths of any of the western shore rivers north of the bridge.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Scott; we were out from 8 until about 1:30 when we pulled lines. Check your cell, I called you Sunday night to invite you on the trip. It went right to voice mail. Is your business cell no longer workable?
5th (Marty)
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Scott; we were out from 8 until about 1:30 when we pulled lines. Check your cell, I called you Sunday night to invite you on the trip. It went right to voice mail. Is your business cell no longer workable?
5th (Marty)

Yeah the change in employment status had a dire effect on that number.

Check your private messages....my new number is inbound.

I'd love to jump on one of those trips....I know I'll learn a lot from you guys.

And thanks a bunch for the invite!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:02 AM

Got it.
Marty
Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
Thanks for the report Marty. Hopefully it is a sign of good things to come, although time is getting short Could always make a run to Va. waters from PLO to extend the season a little

I fished the PLO area today without marking ANY bait to speak of. I did manage to pick up a half dozen fish, including 2 very nice overs.
Will be in fishing out of PLO State park this Thurs thru Sun. Will have Marty, Lou and Allen as crew on Friday. Hope to talk to you one of those days if you are out....Don (Hunter)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
Will be in fishing out of PLO State park this Thurs thru Sun. Will have Marty, Lou and Allen as crew on Friday. Hope to talk to you one of those days if you are out....Don (Hunter)
After fishing on Monday I'm counting down the days to retirement so I can fish only on weekdays. Right now I'm at 11 years 2 months and 14 days What a difference it makes!

I'll be out this weekend, whichever day looks best. Call me on 68. Good luck to you guys.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
After fishing on Monday I'm counting down the days to retirement so I can fish only on weekdays. Right now I'm at 11 years 2 months and 14 days What a difference it makes!

I'll be out this weekend, whichever day looks best. Call me on 68. Good luck to you guys.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. For some reason I have your phone number and Sykesville's in my phone's contact list. Guess we have talked before.

Retirement is great. I use to wish away the weeks as I was counting down to retirement. Now the months are passing by so quickly I wish I could just get them to slow down.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
Thanks Jeff. For some reason I have your phone number and Sykesville's in my phone's contact list. Guess we have talked before.
I think a couple of years ago we exchanged info in the fall when you were going to fish out of Solomon's. It actually may have been the day you decided to buy your pilothouse....It was COLD

I fished Monday and had a decent day, but I talked to some people that fished Tuesday and today, and it seems like it was a tough bite. It's like the lottery though......You gotta play to win!

The way it stands now, it looks like I'll be fishing Sunday. Feel free to call.