Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 08-26-2017, 06:00 AM

Default It's not just Sean Point, entire bay has dried up!!

Well, that MIGHT be an overstatement. Fished Friday morning from 6:30-10:30 with 1 fish that may have stretched out to 15". Trolled same spread is I have been; varied it up just a litttle when it wasn't working. Even jigged under birds and above a pile of fish but no takers. Fish Hodges bar, Swan Point, AND Love Point without success. Not sure where they went but or if there are any left in the bay but WOWwhat a difference a week or 2 can make.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:42 AM

Don't feel badly. I went out Thursday afternoon/evening (I think) looking for spot for the first time this year. Heard they were finally up far enough to make the run to the bridge a success.

Tide was ripping (anything to do with the eclipse?) and the drift was way too fast for consistent catching. Some were fast swimmers and did make it into the boat I was in an unfamiliar area and worried about getting an anchor hung, so we just kept drifting the same area picking up a few each drift.

When I had a decent number in the box, I ran to an area that has been VERY good to me trolling this summer. We marked a few pods of fish (25-30) here and there, but not a big knot of fish to anchor up on. This is when I said, "I wish I had my trolling crap out".

So we tried drifting spot down the "ledge" without success. Only had myself and another onboard, so two or three spot over the side didn't attract a lot of attention from the stripers

Decided to hopscotch our way home searching for a bigger slug of fish to drop on Hit another productive area to find six or eight boats catching and releasing small undersize fish.

Finally hit a shallow area that normally holds fish near the evening and fish were there All the 19 inch fish you want (which we jigged).

Slid back into the slip around 5:30pm because the friend I had with me kept looking at his watch I know the area we just left was going to get better as the sun went down, but oh well, next time

First "skunk" for me in a long time. I was getting used to hitting fish early (6 am) and being done by 7,8,9 am. (times kept increasing as pressure on the fish continued from charters).

It's been a good summer on the upper bay. My cadre of friends (Bruce, Jeff, Lolo, Jason, Mark, and a few others) have been sharing info and making most trips very productive.

Jeff, If the slump continues, tell your passengers that the rock are all up in the rivers feeding on baitfish, and as the water cools, the baitfish leave the rivers searching for warmer waters, and as they leave, the rockfish ambush them at the mouth of the rivers and bay. Convince them it will get better as the bay waters cool down. it's not a lie, and fall fishing always gets better

While we still have some hot days in the upper 80's, enjoy the orange crushes at Mikes North. Get ready for October/November/December. There is a ton of bait in the bay this year!! It is going to hold fish right where we want them.

Soon, the liveliners are going to see the spot turning a golden color, a sure sign the bay waters are cooling. Not what they want to see, but just what I want to see!!

Get the umbrellas loaded with 6 inch white twister tails teasers, dressed in the green mylar tsunami shads on either small buck tails or jigheads. It may be time to start scouting the Key Bridge area soon
5th