Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Gear, Tackle, Electronics

Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Question Looking for an Autopilot

I’m looking to outfit my boat soon with an autopilot, and I’d like to ask for some advice. I’m looking for a basic unit ties into my steering that will hold my last heading while I work lines or retrieve a fish. I’m not looking for one of those elaborate units tied into the GPS.

We were talking to Skip about this last fall and he recommended a place on Kent Island. Looking through my wife’s notes, I think he recommended this place, but I’m not sure:

http://www.boemarine.com/

I would like to get away for between 1 and 2 grand, closer to 1 without buying junk. I have a 21 foot center console with a Yamaha 150 2-stroke. I would appreciate any good advice on this. Skip, I liked the look of yours with the little hand unit at the helm and the way “Sailfish 27” steered straight and true while you tended lines. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM

I have only heard good things about BOE marine. I am headed there this weekend to pick up some parts for a Honda outboard and a antenna that was snapped in half by the snow.

They are very familiar with electronics.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM

My unit is 13 years old.
The new ones are so much better.
Give BOE a call - they'll hook you up.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Baldzilla

for your boat you don't need much, it says 21 foot, s1000 Raymarine is your unit probably. Jim at BOE will be $1387 +/- $1 for that unit installed...I'd be willing to be...only cause he quoted me the same unit for my boat. great unit, Alan (Justchillin) has one and it sold me...no need for something elaborate for what you want it for. It'll tie into your GPS, etc...I have done tons of research on it, but am tired of typing...PM me if you need info
Mark
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Don,
You made the mistake. Now pay the price.

I had SWMBO auto-pilot. You probably had the same. It was high-tech, voice commands, and cheap. "Hey, babe steer towards that lighthouse", OK, aim fer that house with the blue shutters, then go towards that big green floating "thingy" with the light on it..number 83, etc.

You hooked momma on fishin', mine is now hooked. She doesn't drive the boat while I fish anymore. I am the autopilot....she wants pullage too.

I need to invest in a autopilot too. Let me know what you find out.

Jim at BOE is who I'm gonna see too. Just don't have time to research.

Jim
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice here and on the other board. I'm going to look at the S1000. $1387 installed sounds great! I just wonder how fast a turnaround I can get on the install. I'd better jump on it soon.

The days of me flying solo, facing astern, steering the boat with my a$$ while simultaneously reeling in a blue, looking at blues twitching each of the other two lines, wondering why the he!! I put out a three rod spread in the first place, while keeping an eye on other boats is numbered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
Don,
You made the mistake. Now pay the price.

I had SWMBO auto-pilot. You probably had the same. It was high-tech, voice commands, and cheap. "Hey, babe steer towards that lighthouse", OK, aim fer that house with the blue shutters, then go towards that big green floating "thingy" with the light on it..number 83, etc.

You hooked momma on fishin', mine is now hooked. She doesn't drive the boat while I fish anymore. I am the autopilot....she wants pullage too.

I need to invest in a autopilot too. Let me know what you find out.

Jim at BOE is who I'm gonna see too. Just don't have time to research.

Jim
Jim,

Too funny! Kate and I share the current autopilot duties. I don't express myself clear enough, but it's a real bear setting lines and saying "just steer towards the bay bridge rock pile! No, not the main bridge piling, the one to the left of that, the thingy with all the rocks on it! Remember catching blues there last year? Yeah, that's it, it's called the western rock pile! Oh, fish on, grab this line, and I'll take the wheel!"

It's good to have your better half hooked on fishin' for sure! Thanks for the chuckle. I'll need to stop by the shop when I get a chance and pick up some smaller hooks with the wide gaps and the feathers. I want them (2/0?) small enough that they don't weigh the back end of a Gotcha down too much. See you soon!

Don
Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Administrator

I have only heard good things about BOE too

I always tell people the S1000 will work well for you most of the time. It does shut off when you get below about 1.5MPH ground speed. So if you are trolling slow into a current it will likely shut off on you. As long as you pay attention to boat speed it will be fine. I have it on my boat with a 225 Yamaha and have been very happy with it. Going on its 5th season.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtjim View Post
I have only heard good things about BOE too

I always tell people the S1000 will work well for you most of the time. It does shut off when you get below about 1.5MPH ground speed. So if you are trolling slow into a current it will likely shut off on you. As long as you pay attention to boat speed it will be fine. I have it on my boat with a 225 Yamaha and have been very happy with it. Going on its 5th season.
Sold! I just need it to go down to between 2 & 3 mph, but good point about watching the current. If nothing else, it will school me on watching the current and having more presence of mind on my speed with respect to the current. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:54 AM

Default Just too delivery!

I just picked up my boat late last week with my newly installed S1000 auto pilot from Raymarine! The folks at BOE were very helpful, and I look forward to getting the boat out to calibrate the unit as soon as possible. Thanks everyone for your advice!

Tight Lines!

Don