Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Cover or not

Hey Guys,
I've been reading the great reports, unfortunately I haven't been out in a couple of weeks so I have nothing to add. I wanted to see if I could get some general advice.
Do you cover your boats for winter? I have shrinkwrapped in the past but just can't seem to part with the $520 this year. Am I asking for trouble letting snow/ice accumulate in the boat? I'm going to hold out for one more trip but will be winterizing soon. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the great site!

Spiro
Old 12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Baldzilla

I use my boat all winter so I don't cover it....though most hose bibs are shut off so it is NASTY by spring!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 PM

What size boat do you have?

In my case I was able to get a canopy/garage. It was way less than 500 dolalrs too. I think the origional canopy was 250 and the side kit was an extra 100 bucks. Not the prettiest but neither is the 20 year old golf cart or the old truck camper. . .

Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 PM

I bought a custom cover for mine when I got it a few years ago. I used it the 1st year but it turned out to be more of a pain than anything since I still use it in the winter. I think what I'm going to do is just buy some seat covers to protect the white vinyl.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Default Cover Yes....

I just had console, leaning Post,seat covers as well as a full winter cover made for the boat..$1600.00, custom work and happy.

Have a T Top and the winter cover covers theT Top and down to the water line.....

I weighed the option of having it wrapped every year...and decided to go this route...It'll pay for itself in 3 years + I have the console covers for summer...

1st time I put it on it was a PIA..took it back off, put it on the lawn and rolled it bow to mid, and stern to mid,over the shoulder and up over the T Top...10 minutes max now knowing what I am doing...

If I know the boat will sit more then 2 weeks, spring,summer or fall, I'll throw the full cover on......knowing I can do it quick now....

Brand new boat this year and I want to keep it that way....
I had it winterized on Saturday and drug it home in the snow and was spazzing until I washed it in the snow

Last edited by Striper In; 12-09-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 AM

StriperIn who did your work? That sounds like a great price. I wanted to re-do my leaning post and center console covers over the winter. It looks like having a cover made is the way to go. For the cost of shrinkwrap it would pay for itself in 2-3 years. It would also give me the option of uncovering at any time for unexpected trips.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 AM

I went with Oatley in Galena MD.. I was originally going to go to Kent Island who gave me a similar price maybe a 100 more...Jack @ Boat Cover, but it's 60+ miles each way to trailer, so I chose these guys and saved a 100 + mile run,

Another name that was refered down there was Stephanie
at Custom Canvas......

Think I have #'s if you need them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowreg26 View Post
StriperIn who did your work? That sounds like a great price. I wanted to re-do my leaning post and center console covers over the winter. It looks like having a cover made is the way to go. For the cost of shrinkwrap it would pay for itself in 2-3 years. It would also give me the option of uncovering at any time for unexpected trips.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to mburrows

I have a 21' DC and I cover it. It's a pain but I hate leaving it open. I had a canopy similar to Francis's without the sides ($150) for my last 23' WA. Out of the box it was too short but I used 1.5" PVC to make it taller and it worked great but the wife hated it. I'll probably be doing that again since the cover is such a bother.

Mike
Old 12-09-2009, 01:18 PM

I get mine wrapped by Legendary Trailer. They put a door in last year that I can reuse this year. I can get in to do some cleaning and other maintenance before pulling the wrap in the spring. When it snows all of it lays in a pile around the boat. I am an hour away from the boat so it works out well for me.

Jerry
'06 Boston Whaler Conquest 235
Rhode River
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Location: Bowie, MD My boat lives at Serverna Park Yacht Club on the Severn River

I can second Jack @ custom boat cover. His work is the cheapest I found in this area and the highest quality. I have a full cover for my 256 express and could not be happier. (Also I found the almost same cover on boatcoversdirect.com for about $600) I prefer to help the local guys though.

Last edited by Chad; 12-10-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add pics