Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM

Default DNR and commercial and charterboat limted entry..

Bill just introduced into the house on behalf of DNR:

http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/hb/hb1372f.pdf

Is the DNR cost recovery plan to sell more licenses?

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-22-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Bill just introduced into the house on behalf of DNR:

http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/hb/hb1372f.pdf
I've read a lot of bills over the years, but this is one of the worst written bills I've seen in a long time.

To introduce such a convoluted bill this late in the session traditionally gauruntees it to fail.

Maybe one of our chater captains can chime in on how they think this will affect things.....What does the charter boat association think of this?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:12 PM

I posted the bill as soon as it was emailed to me so I havent had a chance to fully understand it. I will make some calls tomorrow to get a smart guy to help explain it to me.

It appears as if DNR wants to set the number of entries. Either way, I guarantee the MCBA and the MWA will not be happy. However, I personally an not sure what to think. I need some time to consider it. It could stand to hurt the full-time guys on both sides the most if it expands the number of participants, especially the watermen. (a good full time charter guy will likely remain busy). While I have adovcated for reallocation and gear restrictions, I am not sure it would be good to put an influx of part-time watermen in the market for those that truely make a living on the water. It likely would also cause more violations and enforcement issues. However, like I said, I dont understand the bill as of yet and the additional licenses may be sold to existing watermen first. I just dont know at this point, especially since I put this post up immediately after someone emailing me the bill.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
I posted the bill as soon as it was emailed to me so I havent had a chance to fully understand it. I will make some calls tomorrow to get a smart guy to help explain it to me.

It appears as if DNR wants to set the number of entries. Either way, I guarantee the MCBA and the MWA will not be happy. However, I personally an not sure what to think. I need some time to consider it. It could stand to hurt the full-time guys on both sides the most if it expands the number of participants, especially the watermen. (a good full time charter guy will likely remain busy). While I have adovcated for reallocation and gear restrictions, I am not sure it would be good to put an influx of part-time watermen in the market for those that truely make a living on the water. It likely would also cause more violations and enforcement issues. However, like I said, I dont understand the bill as of yet and the additional licenses may be sold to existing watermen first. I just dont know at this point, especially since I put this post up immediately after someone emailing me the bill.
Sure are worrying about something that really doesn't concern you. The answer is not what you think. And yeah it's a terrible written bill.