Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 PM

Default 28 July. Janet M & Hell's Belle

I worked for Capt Kenny on the Janet M today. It wasn't wide open, but a semi-steady pick in Eastern Bay. For what ever reason very few of the Happy Harbor boats had trips this morning and a couple guys were giving away spot so we ended up with about 120 for 6 people before we even left. As it turned out I'm glad we had spot to burn because the only way we could get the fish to come on was dropping 2-3 for every hooked bait. It burned up a lot of spot but it kept them with us. By 11 we had them all and went perch fishing.

I loaned my boat to a good friend so he could take some family out. He didn't leave until around 2 and he had to stop and get his spot. He found a pile of better fish further north and limited out in 20 minutes. He had the same problem with the meter-windlass as I did Thursday. Being somewhat unfamiliar with my electronics, instead of fighting the problem like I did, he just turned off the regular fishfinder and found his fish on the sidescan.

After a few cocktails at the Harbor, I had a moment of clarity regarding the fishfinder. This spring I had my battery switch replaced and the wiring redone to the way I thought it should be . Prior to the battery switch replacement, the windlass was wired to a single battery and the electronics came off a second battery. Now they both draw off the batteries simultaneously. I'm now convinced the draw of the windlass is sufficient to cause the meter to go bat **** crazy. Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but at least I know now.

First pic is of the fishbox an the Janet M, the second is of my buddy and his family on my boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28 July Janet M.jpg (80.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 28 July Doug.jpg (75.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Tawn; 07-28-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:38 PM

Lend a buddy a boat?? Homey don't play dat!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
Lend a buddy a boat?? Homey don't play dat!
Lol...My buddy Doug isn't your run on the mill friend. He holds a 50 ton masters ticket, owns a 28 Parker that he keeps in OC and mates out of Deale. I have nothing but 100% confidence in his abilities and that he will treat the boat as I do. Heck it was cleaner this evening than it was when he got on it this morning.

Believe me, I love my boat and I pride myself in taking exceptional care of it but at the end of the day, it's a chunk of fiberglass with a minivan motor on it that enables me to fish. I am a firm believer in that running it on a regular basis is a lot better than having it sit in the slip unused.

Last edited by Tawn; 07-28-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Lol... I am a firm believe in that running it on a regular basis is a lot better than having it sit in the slip unused.
Good, I won't have to tow all the way to CB anymore

When Tawn (Janet M) came out today, we were already set up on some fish. Told Tawn to try setting up on our port side. We had half a limit, but things started to dry up when the tide stopped. Tawn moved, over to our starboard side and picked up some more fish. When they were done, they called us over to their location. Tawn was tossing spot in the water to keep them in that area We picked up another fish or two, and John had to start cooking lunch (crab cake lunches). We soon had three on at once. I told the crew, all we needed was to get Capt. John out of the cockpit. Another fish hooked up while everyone was eating. Everyone looked at one another and didn't want to put their crab cake platter down.
We soon pulled anchor and headed back to the slip. A special thanks to Tawn for working with us today. The crew was a good one as well. A couple of husbands and their wives and daughters. The men let the women bring in all the fish, and it was a relaxing day. They were all used to fishing and boating. Come to find out, they were friends of my buddy Allan (who we fish with in the spring and fall).
A good trip with good people, it doesn't get much better than that

5th(Marty)
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 AM

While in Alaska 2 weeks ago, we got to the boat 1 morning to find a C-dory flipped on its moaring buoy The owner had rented it out the day before and apparently they didn't put everything back exactly the way it was supposed to be. Something went wrong during the night (and the 10' tide swing) and rolled her over.

Another guy I know borrowed his good buddy/welder's boat for day 2 of the Rod n Reel tourney and ran over a submerged jon boat that was adrift due to super high tides. It caused a few issues that fortunately he was able to fix back to like new condition. Not to spot burn but what's left of the jon boat is still in his shop in Denton.

You just never know what can happen on or with a boat.... Hell, I always say, "sex is for partners, boats are for owning!" just so no one has the "paying right" to take my boat anywhere. Too expensive to say, "oops, yeah sorry about that, see ya later". Wait, maybe I just need better a quality of friends... Hmmmm....

Ps- my 27 had the motor of the S2000, not a minivan!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Another guy I know borrowed his good buddy/welder's boat for day 2 of the Rod n Reel tourney and ran over a submerged jon boat that was adrift due to super high tides. It caused a few issues that fortunately he was able to fix back to like new condition. Not to spot burn but what's left of the jon boat is still in his shop in Denton.
I think I know that guy...is he the same guy that has a phone and never answers it?

I did meet them back at the slip and ensured it was tied up properly....that was my biggest concern.

But I understand where you are coming from...Doug is probably the only guy I would allow to use it. He didn't call and ask either. He asked if I could take them fishing but I had already told Kenny I would work on his boat and offered up mine. He probably burned <5 gallons of fuel but put 40 in it - topped it off. I guess the way I look at it is if something bad had happened, that's what I pay insurance for.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Yeah, Sounds like we are talking about the same guy. He's too busy trying to get all those new boats delivered!! A good problem to have in this economy.

You're a good friend! If he wants to borrow my boat, he will have to sweeten the pot with a topside wax job too!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
You're a good friend! If he wants to borrow my boat, he will have to sweeten the pot with a topside wax job too!
WTF
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Is that what you call it on the Eastern Shore Please stay over there, I don't think I need to see anything like that over here
bhl (Bruce)
Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Hell, I've been married long enough now to not even remember what "it" is let alone have a code name for it