Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Default Trolling with Company

I decided to chase stripers today-this time with my wife and her friend. This proved both a challenge and a test of patience. I never knew two people could talk that much. Seriously-nonstop gossip the whole time. My ears were about to implode. When there were no fish on I kept getting asked if we were dragging a fish, since the line was slightly bent. When there were fish on, conversation and text messaging were such a priority that no one payed attention to the lines (well, one of us did). On the troll, we got bit about 5 times and landed 3 stripers, one huge menhaden, and a 30 lb stingray. I lied. We got bit 7 times and missed the two other fish. Stripers were 22-26 inches, kept for dinner. Bait was everywhere, breaking the surface. 20-40 feet depths along the channel edge accounted for most of the catch. Shads and bucktails worked well. Happy fishing! I'm off to buy ear plugs for next time...
Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM

I know what you mean. I have a buddy that normally fishes with me. He hardly says a word. One day; he invited me on his boat because he was taking a young woman he fancied out with him, and he needed help with the trolling lines.
We left SP and headed under the bridge. About a mile south, we turn around and head back to SP. I said, "What's up". He said he forgot the trolling lures; they were still in the truck.
We got to the fishing grounds and dropped lines. From then on, all I heard was Babble, Babble, Babble. He turned into a "Chatty Cathy".
Then, he turned over the wheel to her
When we got the boat back on the trailer, I told him, "No more women on a fishing trip"
5th (Marty)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 PM

5th Tuition,

It's great to get some empathy. To boot, I got called a jerk for throwing the menhaden back without getting a pic first. I had to explain that it would be like posing with a big sardine. I guess to them it's special so I'll ask if they want pics from now on. I'm going out with my brother in law tomorrow, hopefully for a good morning bite. Cheers!
-Semper Fishing
Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherneck21 View Post
5th Tuition,

It's great to get some empathy. To boot, I got called a jerk for throwing the menhaden back without getting a pic first. I had to explain that it would be like posing with a big sardine. I guess to them it's special so I'll ask if they want pics from now on. I'm going out with my brother in law tomorrow, hopefully for a good morning bite. Cheers!
-Semper Fishing
I keep inviting my wife to go out fishing with me but she declines everytime. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

We don't really talk all that much anyway, so I don't think that would ruin the trip.

But I can't imagine her and ANY of her friends out with me. Yikes.

So I'm curious.....how big was the Menhaden? (And you can lie since there's no pics available. )