Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Default Fishing Report 3-23-13, SPSP

Not much to report, except I got to mess with my new HDS 7/structure scan
Everthing ran perfectly with all the work I had done by my GF's daughter's friend I made a post about on TF.
I did not see Marty, maybe he saw me. I think I was talking to Hookin up/Jamie when he caught his 36". I had a line break a clip, fish or junk, will never know. I only saw 3-4 other boats out.
Here is a picture of my new unit. For the longest time I thought the sonar was on Simulator, finally figured out how to check that and it was off. There were points where the Sonar was stacked with arches from top to bottom and I was seeing all sorts of bait balls on the SS. I was wrapped up by noon and home by 1:30.
And, Yes, That is the bay bridge, I stayed within a mile or 2 of the bridge all morning.
Till Next Time
I did check my lines twice and the board rods had snot, the umbrellas did not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (37.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Jalopy; 03-25-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM

We didn't leave the dock until after 12 noon. No wonder we didn't see each other. Glad you like your HDS. I am still learning my side scan. In fact, Skip and I were suposed to go out and look for some wrecks so I could dial it in a bit.
There must have been 4-5 boats working south of the bridge with only one fish hooked I guess they aren't here in any number yet
I guess this colder weather and snow will keep the bay temperature down. I hope they get here soon. I'd rather see them get up to the spawning grounds, so we can catch them on the way out; rather than catching them on the way in and filled with roe.
I'll probably be out later in the week. I'll post again.
5th
Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 PM

I did not see any temps at 42 or above they were all 40-41.something. With all the marks on the meter, I surely thought I was going to have a tough time keeping all the lines in the water.
That's why they call it Fishing, not catching.
Maybe next time.
John
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM

John; I wasn't with you, so take this with a grain of salt. I might be totally off base here
When I got my HDS, I was comfortable looking at my old Lowrance fishfinder. Therefore, I ran it similar to what your photo shows (FF, GPS, Sidescan). However, I found the FF to show all kinds of marks that really weren't fish (but looked like fish and bait). When I ran my FF and Downscan (side by side) I noticed the downscan showed more realisticly what was under me. Often, what I thought I saw on the FF was just junk (clutter). So much so, that I rarely use the FF anymore. The downscan also showed fish and bait when I was running at speed (the FF did not).
Run them Side by Side and see how they relate. I was amazed
5th (Marty)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
We didn't leave the dock until after 12 noon. No wonder we didn't see each other. Glad you like your HDS. I am still learning my side scan. In fact, Skip and I were suposed to go out and look for some wrecks so I could dial it in a bit.
There must have been 4-5 boats working south of the bridge with only one fish hooked I guess they aren't here in any number yet
I guess this colder weather and snow will keep the bay temperature down. I hope they get here soon. I'd rather see them get up to the spawning grounds, so we can catch them on the way out; rather than catching them on the way in and filled with roe.
I'll probably be out later in the week. I'll post again.
5th
Marty,
When I retire, can I sleep untill noon and then go fishing

bhl (Bruce)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM

Everything happens after Perry Mason (Broadstripe channel 165 10 am - 11 am)

I hope the people that charter Patent Pending are understandable

I may have to switch cable companies so I can get "Genie"
5th (Marty)
Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Marty,
I will have to try that, I am open for any advice on these new electronics, it is so overwhelming sometimes.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 PM

My boat is at BOE having the Lowrances reprogrammed to calculate how much longer we can stay out based on the real-time consumption rate of beer before we must return to Happy Harbor for more.

I figured we would get more use out of it that way.