Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Default pop zing nada

Got to go out for 3 hours today. Lines in at 10:00am out at 1:30pm had one fish pop the bait and pulled about 1 second of drag and didn't hook up.
Oh well, it was the first nice day out for me. Put out 6 rods, 5 on the board and 1 deep. Fish hit a tandem green board line out 70'. Water still cold 42 to 45.
I was solo and had to pull all lines 3 times to clear snot, lots on the lures and I saw some drifting around. Best part of the day was seeing a lot more bait and bird shows than a week ago mostly in the deep 60 to 100' south of Deal.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM

You needed a "six pack" It's up to you as to which kind you take. You can either use one that needs to go on ice, or one with six 9 inch shads

At least you got out on a nice day. Sorry the board line didn't come tight

5th (Marty)

p.s. One day we have to get Tawn, Capt John, and I on your Judge for a fun trip
5th (Marty)
Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 AM

Had a 6 pack on a board line, I don't think they were thirsty.
Had an idea while I was driving home about cleaning all the jellies of the lures.
Next time I will run both boards but set all lines to starboard, then after 30 minutes start pulling one at a time and just set them back out on the port board one at a time so only one bait is out of the water at any given time.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Had a 6 pack on a board line, I don't think they were thirsty.
Had an idea while I was driving home about cleaning all the jellies of the lures.
Next time I will run both boards but set all lines to starboard, then after 30 minutes start pulling one at a time and just set them back out on the port board one at a time so only one bait is out of the water at any given time.
Now that's using your head, I would have never thought about that.
What we do, I run "slider" baits during C/R season. For those that don't know what slider baits are; the line goes through the center "nose" of the lure. When rigged in this fashion the jellies have no where to collect.
When you pull your normal parachute bait, the jellies are most often caught right where the leader line is tied to the chute. The line and the chute form an angle and the "snot" runs down the leader line and stops right next to the chute. You either grab the leader line and shake shake shake until the snot falls off, or as Skip suggested, grab the chute from behind (grab the tail of the shad) and hold the chute upside down (point the head to the water) and the snot falls right off.
With sliders, there's no collection point. The snot (for the most part) passes right over the hair (straight hair, not crinkled) without incident
5th (Marty)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 AM

Sometimes knowing when and where the fish aren't biting is just as useful as an alleged "hot" tip.

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 AM

Seems to be a trend of fish hitting board rods back 70 to 80 feet. By chance, that had been my "lucky" rod for a while, but i haven't been out this year yet. In any event, there seems to be slim pickings, but fish available if one puts in the time. Thanks for posting!

Don
Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 PM

Nice idea about running both boards for the "wipe your nose and switch sides" plan. Might as well get used to wide turns now while it is still quite for the most part as it won't be soon enough! Headed to Kent Island for the spring season this Friday or Saturday so let the games begin. I hope to get out Sat and if it's productive, going again on Sunday.

FISH NUT must not have realized what a sucker I am 'cause he didn't try to sell me one of those 6packs in Chestertown??? OR maybe it's some sneaky plot he and Marty are using to get a fishing trip out of me?? (I do owe 5th a trip for my signature photo) Now that's JUSTIFIED!!

Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM

Jeff; I don't think Rob has that many "6 Packs" to sell. We experimented with them last year and they seem to be doing well this year. Rob made a couple up for me, and I think he sells out of the few he has quickly at the shows. I think he was experimenting with the proper gauge wire, the correct "twists" to make in the wire, the spacing of the spreaders, and a host of other factors. Heck; he even tried powder coating the ones I bought from him

I use Rob (and mainly his dad Bob) as my research team I got him to make some 6 packs, he painted the chins on some of my chutes, and now I have Bob making me a prototype dehooker that I want for the charter boat

Maybe it's time to have another CBA get together so we can swap info before the season opens Give it another two weeks and more of us will have been out and will have info to share. Either I can set up "Howards" again, or someone else can set something up in their neck of the woods.

5th (Marty)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM

Marty,

You had me at 6 pack.....