Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Question Stainless Versus Aluminum Propellers – Which is Best?

I would like to get people’s opinions about stainless versus aluminum props.

I’ve been using a stainless steel propeller for the last 4 years since I’ve owned my boat. The boat came with an aluminum propeller, and I switched it to a stainless one from the get go.

I was told that stainless props give much better gas mileage and eventually would pay for themselves over time, and that you would get a couple more miles per hour out of a stainless prop. The reasoning behind this was that aluminum props flex much more than stainless props.

Everything was ok until July of last year when I blew out the rubber prop hub on my stainless prop, and had to be towed back to the ramp. I didn’t hit anything, I was just going down the Magothy at 35 miles per hour when the hub blew and my engine whined in protest due to the higher RPM’s.

I got the stainless prop re-hubbed, and I was on my way and thought I was good to go for a while. However, I blew out the hub of my stainless prop again last Friday. Like the first time, I don’t remember hitting anything on Friday, but we did strike long 3 to 4 inch diameter log in the mouth of the South River late last summer. I was able to swap in my spare prop on Friday and salvaged the day.

Someone mentioned that stainless props are more susceptible to blowing hubs than are aluminum ones. Is this true? If this is the case, should I go back to using an aluminum prop? I would appreciate any positive feedback on this.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Cat-

If you have a chance of hitting something w/ your prop, then definitely stainless. Since it is stiffer, then any resistence it hits will go directly to the hub, so I'm sure it would be more susceptable to hub blowing, BUT an alumuinum prop is more susceptable to having a blade bent or broken on impact. So really, its a trade-off. I'll take better milage/speed and stronger prop blades over the chance of a blown hub.

Like you found out, that's what Sea Tow is for!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM

I have a different opinion on SS vs aluminum. I have always run the aluminum prop, the one reason is if you hit something it will give not the gears in the lower unit. Have I hit submerged objects yes. It dinged the aluminum prop and I had it reconditioned over the winter. Aluminum props are also better if you are slipping your boat due to the difference in metals issue with stainless. SS gives you slightly more speed slightly more fuel efficiency, and looks better. I have never blown a hub. I have had new ones pressed in when reconditioning a prop.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 PM

unless you know you are going to be in the shallows a lot where you have the understanding that you are going to damage blade edges and reconditioning is a given, SS is the way to go. The odd chance of hitting something is why they have the rubber hub... Unfortunately something is wrong with the hubbs you have been getting. Are they aftermarket? What brand prop do you have.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
unless you know you are going to be in the shallows a lot where you have the understanding that you are going to damage blade edges and reconditioning is a given, SS is the way to go. The odd chance of hitting something is why they have the rubber hub... Unfortunately something is wrong with the hubbs you have been getting. Are they aftermarket? What brand prop do you have.
Thanks everyone. I want to say that the prop is a Stiletto. I got it from Overtons 4 years ago, and I had some good advice on picking it out from a buddy who's been boating for 15 years.

As for the hub, I took it to Fairwinds Marina and they sent it out to be re-hubbed after it blew out last year. I would hope that they use quality materials.