Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Jesus Christ... Sad Sad Sad......

WTF ??? This is just too sad.....

CBS News, June 24, 2010

Allen Kruse had been a charter fishing boat captain for more than two decades -- long enough that people called him by his boat's name, Rookie, as if they were one and the same. But then, two months ago, the leaking BP oil well began pouring crude into the waters where he took families fishing for snapper and amberjack.

Two weeks and two days ago, with his fishing grounds closed, Kruse, 55, took a job working for BP's cleanup crew. For the very people who'd caused the mess.

Other boat captains said Kruse, like them, found the effort confusing, overly bureaucratic and frustrating. He told them to keep their heads down, not to worry about the hassles. But those close to him saw he was losing weight.

On Wednesday morning, Kruse drove to his boat as usual. As the deckhands prepared for the day's work, Kruse, as the captain, was supposed to turn on the generator. But after a few minutes, the crew members said, they didn't hear anything and went looking for him. A deckhand found him in the wheelhouse, shot in the head.

The Baldwin County, Ala., coroner's office called his death an apparent suicide and said Kruse didn't leave a note. There's no way to be sure why he would have taken his life. But his friends see the tragedy as a clear sign of the BP spill's hidden psychological toll on the Gulf Coast, an awful feeling of helplessness that descends on people used to hard work and independence.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Don't get me wrong; I'm glad Obama got 20 billion out of BP; however, I truely believe it's time for some of these people to go to jail and serve some real time. At this point, I don't know who goes to jail, since it's not an American company. But, even if we can't touch some of the British citizens, there are some Americans who deserve to be looked at very closely. How could BP have something like 700 violations and keep functioning? Those that allowed this to continue need to pay a price.

I found a quote when I was involved with the PSCR rockfish farce. It is relevent to the new concern for increasing the offshore quota for netting rock as well. It even is applicable to the problems in the Gulf and also why it's so difficult to clean up the Chesapeake Bay. Here's the quote from James Wilson.

"What belongs to no one is wasted by every one. What belongs to one man in particular is the object of his economy and care".

Think about it.

5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 06-24-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 PM

Saw a TV special about BP / Gulf fishermen.

BP is requiring W-2 forms showing income. Trouble is - a lot of the fishermen deal in cash and can not prove their income. They really were not out to avoid taxes - just the way it is there.

I can see how a long time fishermen seeing his ocean destroyed could make a rash decision like suicide.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Permenant solution to a temporary problem.

Not to threadjack, but there's plenty of blame to go around for this mess...BP, government regulators and inspectors, policies on shallow water drilling, the demand that we as consumers have created....

I hope this suicide isn't related to just economic pressures. And without a suicide note this:
Quote:
There's no way to be sure why he would have taken his life. But his friends see the tragedy as a clear sign of the BP spill's hidden psychological toll on the Gulf Coast, an awful feeling of helplessness that descends on people used to hard work and independence.
is just specualtion by grieving friends looking for answers they'll never get.

May the captain rest in peace.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:17 PM

Before we talk about jail lets stop the leak and clean it up. It was an accident don't forget, no one wanted this, accidents do happen.

TED
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM

Just saw this story on the news this morning. His daughter was a couple boats down from him when it happened.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
They really were not out to avoid taxes - just the way it is there.
You can deal in cash and report your income and pay taxes. These guys have been gaming the system for years and it has finally caught up to them. I guess if they want to report how much they made the last 5 years, pay the fines and back taxes on it, and do any jail time that it may require-then they can get their money. If the situation were a group of lawyers who have been working for cash and not reporting income, would you be happy to let them slide?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Pay them what they reported as an ave for the last 5 years. We all know most all of them under reported and they have been doing it for many years and will do it in the future. Don't boo hoo to me if you get paied what you reported.

TED