Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 07:40 AM

Well we were back at it Wed. with a couple of my CBA friends (Don-Hunter, Bill-smellslikefish), a good friend I share boats with (Mark), and my cousin (Charles). The Captain brought along some buddies as well.

We ran south from Deale with the intention of looking for fish where we left off last time in the Plum Point area. On the way down; John saw nice bait with good marks mixed in. We slowed to trolling speed and the bait continued.

Putting out 9 lines with 4 experienced guys was quick to say the least. Soon after, rods started to go off and we were bringing a variety of size rock over the side.

This was a fun trip with guys who had just finished the tropy season, so we weren't keeping 18 or 19 inch fish. We had some even shorter than that, all fat with mayworms. The 21 inch fish went in the box and Pat (John's friend) hooked into a nich 28 inch fish that made the others look really small.

This was going to be too easy. But never count your chickens before they hatch. The bite died and we either lost the school or the tide changed quicker than predicted from the computer. I always have the tide change written down on a piece of paper with me when I fish, but I always need to remember this is an approximation. With several days of south wind, a lot of water was pushed north and it's possible the tide started to run out earlier than I expected.

We ate some lunch, told some stories, and trolled to new fishing grounds on the Eastern side of the bay. Where's the bait? Captain John said "pull the spread and let's go back to out orininal area". Turned out to be a good call.

We got back on the bait, with some fish here and there. Small keepers again went back. The action was not hot. Then, as he made a turn, boom several rods went down. We could once again pick through the ones we wanted to keep. As John continued to make lazy turns over the bait, the action continued. My cousin, who rarely fishes, brought in another 28 incher to make his day.

We ended with a limit of fish, but had to put our time in to get them. We pulled rods at 1pm and headed back to Deale.

If we learned anything yesterday, it was to first find bait, and second get lines as deep as possible. I even considered "bottom bouncing" with a 28 ounce sinker off a threeway and a lure of choice behind it.

It's hard to believe these fish will hit a lure with a belly full of worms. I can't wait for the mayworm hatch to be over with. Fishing should improve when we are not compeating with the worms.

5th (Marty)
Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Nice report Martin

Whore
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Had a great yesterday Marty. Had a great day aboard the PATENT PENDING (410-703-3246) and once again Capt. John put us on the fish....Don
Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM

Marty I bought some of those spoons at the Tri State show in Deale a couple of months ago but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

You can also buy them at the little cafe/restaurant there in Deale...South County Cafe I think?

You got me pumped to get them wet now! Mike and I are heading out for a few evening hours tomorrow....maybe I'll get a chance to get some pullage with them. They look FANTASTIC.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM

If you don't have spreader bars, run them as a single lure off small umbrellas or as a tandem off large umbrellas. You might also want to take off the 6 inch storm shad teasers and replace them with twistertails or eel tails as teasers. I have been running 3 spreader bars with 20 ounces out 5 or 6 bars out of a 9 rod spread.

I haven't fished the upper bay in quite a while, but if the fish are feeding on mayworms, get your lures close to the bottom.

You might even try bottom bouncing one of John's lures off a threeway swivel with 28 ounces of weight.

I might troll the Lovepoint area. Best of luck.

Marty
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Marty, The new gig suits you well. Certainly is getting you on the water frequently. I appreciate the invite. I hope to join you next time. Finding time to get on the water with three kids doing stuff has been tough.. but school is almost out.

BTW, keep posting away and dont worry about those who may Judge you
Old 05-28-2011, 03:08 PM

We didn't spend much time out yesterday...the wind was pretty gnarly.

Ended up doing a little Perch fishing in the creek for a little while until the storm came.

Only casted the spoons a few dozen times. Took me a while to get the action I wanted but I can't wait to spend some real time working them.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Marty I bought some of those spoons at the Tri State show in Deale a couple of months ago but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

You can also buy them at the little cafe/restaurant there in Deale...South County Cafe I think?
Spot - The South County Cafe is Capt John's (CJ) restaurant, the guy who actually makes those lures (CJ Spoon).....Don
Old 05-28-2011, 11:48 PM

Excellent report. Thanks for the info.