Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Default Nice day out of the house/PSG Fleamarket

After shoveling snow for more days than I would like; I finally got out of the house and hit the PSG Fleamarket. Fishing buddies Lou and Alan (justchillin) went with me and we ran into several fellow cbanglers. I spent more than I thought I would (except Woody "Tacklemake" did give me a special lure for free for my wife to catch perch on every cast; thanks Woody) and then several of us headed to Beefalo Bob's for some pit beef and beer. Everyone showed off what they bought and Rob (Fishnut) was there with his parachutes that he and his dad made. Everyone was impressed with his lures (with that special sparkle) so several of us bought a few or put in orders for special colors.
Eight of us sat around and talked fishing and boats for a couple hours before leaving with our spoils and a full belly.
Cabin Fever has been eliminated, and if it doesn't snow too much on Monday; spring will be right around the corner.
5th (Marty)
p.s. remember Daytona 500 tomorrow; go Jeff (24).
Old 02-13-2010, 06:17 PM

Given the rather dire circumstances I think the thing was a success. I found some good deals, had some great oysters, and was impressed with the number of vendors that made it out.

While waiting in line I was chatting with a fella' who comes from Wilmington, DE every year for this. He mentioned how he liked the true "flea market" feel of the event and hoped that it wouldn'tbe taken over by commercial vendors.

I have to agree to a point. I certainly don't mind the commercial vendors at all, especially when they're bringing truckloads of discontinued and obsolete goodies. I can go to All tackle, Anglers or Bass Pro and see new stuff and pay retail price anytime. Here, I like to dig for bargains and do a little old fashioned haggling (which netted me 10 lures that I LOVE for a whopping $8.00)

I also scored a nice rope/plastic boarding ladder that will stow away on my little bass boat rather nicely. I haven't fallen off that boat yet, but having spent some time at Dobbins Island on it I know how difficult it is to re-board it in deep water without a a ladder.

My buddy Garlien scored a few nice things too, but I'll let him tell you about those.

Is it April yet?

Thanks to everybody who worked to make this happen.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:37 AM

I like this show for a lot of reasons, but mostly because there's a lot of stream fishing stuff there and usually not a lot of people who buy it. I got some great deals today on inline spinners, Rebel craws, shad darts (ten for a buck) and other small lures.

In the past, I've found very good buys on baitcasters and trigger rods. I saw a few today, but the prices were a little high. I'll go back tomorrow at closing and offer them half to see what happens.

I didn't see Fishnut's stuff, somehow missed that he was a vendor, but I'll look for him tomorrow. I'm hoping for optic fibers and blacklights!

Today, I got the best deal I've ever even heard of on some Heddon Super Spooks. They weren't in boxes but still brand new and I got them 3 for 5 bucks. I bought TWO DOZEN!

Also, biggest pit beef sandwich I've ever seen... added onions, mustard, salt pepper and horseraddish.... Yummmm!

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 02-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Wow, so I'm not the only one with a box full of Rebel crawls.....

Always had great results with them on freshwater panfish and White and Yellow Perch in the Magothy. Even caught a few big catfish on them.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Shawn; Rob (fishnut) was not a vendor. He displayed his lures at Beefalo Bob's. When he first showed us his homemade lures, we thought they were very nice. After the third beer, they were looking great and we were buying them and putting in orders for more in special colors. I think he hit on a great marketing technique.
I think he might have had plenty of practice utilizing this same technique for years (like how the fat girl at the end of the bar looks better at closing time).
In all seriousness; the lures look great and you can see they put lots of time into them.

p.s. No disrespect meant to women; as the graffiti on rt695 near exit 1 states; "Fat Chicks Rock".
Old 02-14-2010, 10:57 AM

Ah, my bad. I missed the part about the Beefalo Black Market. Sounds like a good time.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Baldzilla

Marty,
Sounds like you guys had a blast. I didn't get your message until around 6 that night so obviously y'all had left. Would have been nice to see Alan (I've never seen someone probably working on 1 hour sleep in about 3 weeks)
Mark
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Mark; sorry you missed us. Alan was a little sleepy eyed; but the good thing is he has racked up a ton of vacation time for fishing. Maybe we should have met at McDougal's instead. That would have kept his eyes open. 5th (Marty)
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Mark; sorry you missed us. Alan was a little sleepy eyed; but the good thing is he has racked up a ton of vacation time for fishing. Maybe we should have met at McDougal's instead. That would have kept his eyes open. 5th (Marty)
I'd have left the kids at home alone to make that one
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Shawn; Rob (fishnut) was not a vendor. He displayed his lures at Beefalo Bob's. When he first showed us his homemade lures, we thought they were very nice. After the third beer, they were looking great and we were buying them and putting in orders for more in special colors. I think he hit on a great marketing technique.
I think he might have had plenty of practice utilizing this same technique for years (like how the fat girl at the end of the bar looks better at closing time).
In all seriousness; the lures look great and you can see they put lots of time into them.

p.s. No disrespect meant to women; as the graffiti on rt695 near exit 1 states; "Fat Chicks Rock".

LOL

Just getting back in the swing of things guys, been busy pouring and painting. I see you figured out my marketing strategy. I enjoyed seeing all of you guys at Bob’s the sandwich was great and the company was pretty good

Just received some new colors of flash and made up a new color scheme that looks great.

Chart head+ white hair + emerald green flash= add chart or white shad

Now I just have to figure out if the fish think it is appetizing.

If I was fishing for CB anglers. I would use some pit beef sandwiches a 6pack or two of beer. Maybe a couple of pony bottles as teasers.
Of course, I don’t think many of you would fare well against 25lbs of drag.

Maybe we should have met at McDougal's. I second that motion.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 02-17-2010 at 10:30 AM.