Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Default Going outside my dark box, to the light side... HELP!!

Determined to catch something besides catfish on my new LTJ rod tomorrow. Plan to fish incoming tide somewhere north of the bridge (LP probably) Any suggestions? PLEEEEASE

Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM

One very reliable spot is a touch farther south of LP - bay bridge eastern rockpile.

This time of year - it often holds 14 to 26 inch Rock. More under size then keepers but if you pluck away - often get a limit.

Trick is to fish west and upcurrent side.

Often others will be there - just watch where they hook up. Only down side - if more then 5-6 boats , it can get tricky to fish.

The fish will be near or on bottom in 45 to 60 feet. I find less hits but more keepers about 5 feet off bottom. Do not let lure drag - very likely to snag. Trick is to bounce it off the big boulders that are down there.

The north west corner is tricky - slight point juts out. It comes up to about 8 feet. Best spot is about 40 feet off this corner. The SW corner is deeper but has similar profile. On flat part of west side - the drop is steep. Only 15 feet off the rocks is 20 feet.

I look area over with meter to get idea where fish are. Sting Silvers in 1 1/2 or 2 oz work great. I like gold color or chartreuse / white with single barbless feather hook.

5-7 inch BA or BKD on 1 1/2 to 2 oz heads work too. Sometimes you have to cast down current to get lure to bottom as boat drifts over it.

If calm and good current - you'll see the current eddies / seams / rip and get idea where fish should be.

Often you'll get a few Perch as well.

Watch outgoing current - it often runs SW and boat will tend to drift close to the two legged piling. Seen guys not paying attention bump into it. They were facing NE fishing and got surprised .
Old 11-28-2013, 11:58 AM

I ONLY troll in the spring and fall, but this year I decided to give the LTJ thing a shot. I've had a blast and probably will keep at it until I see better reports from people trolling in my area. There have been a few big fish caught trolling, but for the most part we have been catching the same class of fish jigging as the guys trolling (25"-35").

Only suggestions I have, and believe me I'm just a beginner, is to buy the best binoculars you can and find birds. The Nikon StabilEyes 14x40 is an awesome set, and the 14x magnification will flat out find birds.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:30 PM

I have heard a few good stories about the sewer pipe....
Old 11-28-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
I have heard a few good stories about the sewer pipe....
This is always a place to check. My only problem with the sewer pipe is that boats tend to be fairly close and everyone can see me not catching fish while jigging
5th

P.S. I will be on the Eastern Shore tomorrow at a B&B. Let me know what time you will be at the sewer pipe and I will flush to give you some current

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 11-28-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to let you know how it went. Skip gets award for most informative but Marty gets award for most helpful!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:59 PM

So, I hit the rock pile and had what appeared to be some good marks there; caught 2 little guys (12"ish) on sting silvers. Very tough keeping OFF the rocks and ON the fish with the wind and tide whipping together from the north. Tide chart waaaaay off; still outgoing at 10:00. Checked the sewer pipe but no one home. Ran to LP looking around and then into the Chester. Very little bait, no birds working, and very little marks. Got really nice when we headed in,
a sheet of glass. Fished from about 9-12.
If I go tomorrow it's back to the dark side!!!!