Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Default Thinking about a community fishing tournament....

So I got myself stuck in charge of our community's beaches and parks, and one of the things I've wanted to do was to increase the number of, and broaden the types of events we have at our facilities.

We have 5 beaches and parks, 3 marinas and a terrific boat ramp.

A few weeks ago Garlien and I entered the Boulevard Park White Perch Tournament and that got me thinking (a dangerous thing for sure...)

I think I'd like to host a similar event here next year. We have ample parking for 30+ trucks and trailers, and I assume many participants already have their boats in the water. And some would likely come from out of the community.

We have nearly 2500 homes in the neighborhood,but at this point it's hard to gauge community interest.

You can see a little of the ramp and about half of the parking lot by going to the website, click on virtual tour and then choosing the secong video down, "marinas." http://cscia.org/index.cfm

So I'm thinking of doing it as a fundraiser for Wounded Warriors or some other worthy cause. Split the money raised 50/50 between the top 3 winners and the chosen charity. And of course there would be a Calcutta for those interested.

So has anyone here done anything like this? I'd love to hear from everyone whether you've done it. participated in one, or not.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:09 PM

Winner gets a deep water slip at the Little Magothy Pier!!!
Second place gets to keep their boat in their drive way
3rd place.. boat goes to Conti's yard

Last edited by B-Faithful; 07-31-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 PM

Speaking for myself only; others can chime in their 2 cents. I'd be willing to give "all" the money to Wounded Warriors. Take out enough to buy a bunch of hotdogs, buns, beans and soft drinks (maybe we can get some of this donated) and give the rest to charity.
5th (Marty)
Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM

OR; and this works for me too, 1st place- use of Greg's boat for 3 weeks. 2nd place- use of Greg's boat for 2 weeks. 3rd place- use of Greg's boat for 1 week.
5th
Old 07-31-2012, 06:22 PM

Cool

and since I will be taking the calcutta...and Marty will be using Greg's boat...How about I use Marty's boat for 3 weeks ? He is not using it now and a boat in the water not getting used is a recipe for problems !

I'm in....Will we have to arrive by boat to check in or can we use the honor system ?

Please, please don't make me go down there...

BTW - If you do it late enough in the year you could have calcutta's for stripers, white perch, hard head, blues, spot, etc...Would be a fun way to make some extra money and get lots of people involved....

Course another great idea would be to advertise at the PSG flea market and others through the spring...

Even better idea....5% off the top goes to all the guys you fish with during the year for beer and crabs !

PS - Marty maybe we skip Howard's this time and fine a down and dirty crab shack and eat crabs while talking about the fishing....
Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 PM

Mike; Crabs sounds great to me. Do you have a suggestion for a place. Anne Arundel Seafood on Mountain Road would work, but a place on the water would be better.
5th
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Was thinking the same thing...There is Cheshire Crab in Pasadena...Cantlers outside of Annapolis...Fisherman's Inn on Kent Island...

Anyone else have any suggestions for an outside crab place to get together ?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Winner gets a deep water slip at the Little Magothy Pier!!!
Second place gets to keep their boat in their drive way
3rd place.. boat goes to Conti's yard
Mikey is getting criminal charges pressed against him today for various things.

The community might end up owning that property before it's all over. Then We can ALL store our boats there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
OR; and this works for me too, 1st place- use of Greg's boat for 3 weeks. 2nd place- use of Greg's boat for 2 weeks. 3rd place- use of Greg's boat for 1 week.
5th

Works for me. Much like your boat Marty, I see Greg's boat keeping a large part of his driveway from fading.

If winners wished to donate their money back to the charity, I'm all for it. Maybe if I kick in the money for a kick-ass trophy and a gift certificate to Fairwinds for the winne, they'd be more inclined to not care about the money so much.

Of course I think we could easily get 40 boats even without the prize money i we do the trophy and gift certificate thing.....And the calcutta could take care of those that like to compete for cash.

Thanks Marty......I'm liking this more and more.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM

My boats been getting out Wed. we went from Bodkin to Eastern Bay for rock and blues. Filled the cooler with both. I worked Lou and Mark until their arms were weak. Four rods, Captain John's spreaders and lures.

I've been on the charter a lot this summer. I got another tomorrow, then the 10th and the 12th. Fishing has been hot (both temperature and catching) down south. The water quality is much nicer south of Bloody. I even have John jigging (after trolling) for a change of pace. I think John's afraid barnacles will grow on the bottom of his boat if he jigs or livelines for fish.

Later
5th
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM

You mean if it sits still in the water it won't get barnacles ?

I thought that is why I have had so many this year...

Marty, somehow I need to get a least one of those spreaders from you/John...The umbrella is fine, but you guys swear by those spreaders...

Wish the blues would head up this way some time soon....

Lots of active and good fishing for hardheads, spot, perch, stripers, and occasional cats up north this way...just have not see a blue yet...

And damn I know I fish in the same water that the 25lb black drum was caught the other day and I can't catch a croaker over 10" to save my soul this year...