Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Blind Squirrel finds nuts ?

Not much to read during the winter months, so I thought I'd post SOMETHING

I hope it's true that "even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally". That's because I'm slightly blind for about 3 weeks
(14 business days, so they say)

I went to the eye doctor yesterday and after the examination, I went looking through the store for new frames. The frames I have are about 8 years old
I keep getting the glass replaced with a new prescription, but keeping the frames.
This isn't so bad when I went to Lenscrafters. They would do the exam, and 30 min to an hour later have my new prescription in my old frames.

However, last time I went to Lenscrafters, I had a problem with their service. They installed the new prescription, and I returned in 45 minutes to find they had screwed up, and I had to wait another 45 min for them to remake the prescription.

Hey, that's fine; I'm retired, I have time for them to "get it right". I went back 45 min later and they fit the frames to my face, and I said, "these aren't right". They did some more face adjusting and said that should be better. It wasn't.

They weren't off terribly, but just not "sharp" like a new prescription should be. They called out the optometrist and he got a little indignant, said the prescription was correct

The people at Lenscrafters said because it was a new prescription, it might take a while to get accustom to them. I had my doubts, but took them.

My mistake. I ***** and moan and hold most everyone accountable these days. I should have returned and demanded satisfaction, but I didn't. Like I said, they were close.

Most notably, when watching TV, if small lettering came across the screen, I had to tilt my head down for a better view, and even then it wasn't "perfect". Distance, wasn't a problem.

Long story short; I went to "Peepers" eye care this time. Beside, they carry Maui Jim's and I needed a new prescription in them as well (for fishing).

Turns out, Lenscrafters started my progressive lens too high in my glasses, hence me tilting my head down. Additionally, the prescription was off by .5. I guess this is acceptable, but not perfect.

So I'm in Peepers after the exam and begin to look for frames (remember the old ones are 8 yrs old)

I ask which section is the "men's" frames. Wouldn't you know it, I'm told all frames are unisex now, there is no men's or women's section. I say, "Oh, I should have guessed" I'd find a frame similar to mine, pick it up, only to find it had purple sides, or some "frilly" connection from the side piece to the front of the frame.

Well, I didn't find frames like I had ( I guess pajama boy and I have different requirements). The girl says, I think we carried your frames in 2000-2008. I said, "Hey, I still have suits and ties from that era"

Soooo, I'm still using my frames. 14 business days until they are ready:eek
I have no regular "backups". I did have two sets of Maui Jims. I sent one pair away for new prescriptions ($600) and I will be wearing the other set for normal everyday wear.

So, if you see me at PSG flea market looking like Stevie Wonder, or in a movie theater wearing sunglasses, don't make fun.

I dropped a total of $869 for glasses. Imagine the rods and reels I could have bought, if I had only kept "tipping" my head
5th
Old 02-15-2018, 04:32 PM

So I’m confused Blind squirrel, did you find your nuts or not???

Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
So I’m confused Blind squirrel, did you find your nuts or not???
I needed help
Maybe this isn't so bad after all
5th
Old 02-16-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I needed help
Maybe this isn't so bad after all
5th
These days you always have to look for a silver lining. Unfortunately it sounds like it is tough for you to see so I thought I’d help point it out to you buddy!!

Old 02-16-2018, 02:38 PM

Default eyeglasses

I use prescription half frame reading glasses - no frame on the top - that I bought in 1987. About six months ago I broke one of the temples. At least a dozen places told me that nobody made them any more, but I lucked into a set when my wife was looking for reading glasses at a store that is out of the way.

Ted Trueblood one said that if you find something you like, buy two of them because if it is any good, they will quit making them.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finprof View Post
I use prescription half frame reading glasses - no frame on the top - that I bought in 1987. About six months ago I broke one of the temples. At least a dozen places told me that nobody made them any more, but I lucked into a set when my wife was looking for reading glasses at a store that is out of the way.

Ted Trueblood one said that if you find something you like, buy two of them because if it is any good, they will quit making them.
That's exactly what I did with my Maui Jim's I previously had Costa's. The frames were nice, but the blue tint was simply coated over the prescription glass. It soon began wearing off, and when I contacted Costa they were not willing to make them right. This was years ago, Costa made the frames, but farmed out the prescription portion of their sunglasses. I believe they do the whole job now.

Maui Jim's did their own process in house and is much better quality (my opinion). Sooo, I had another set made. I have one with black frames and dark gray lenses, and another with brown frames and more yellow tint lenses.

I guess I have to start looking for another set of regular glasses (frames I like) to keep on hand. Guess I'll have to find some old fashion store that still separates their frames into "male" and "female" sections

I wish I wasn't so old, I'd try lasik's I can remember when they used to cut your lens 7 ways to try to correct your vision. Now, with the computer "shaving" type of surgery, I'd do it if I was 15 years younger.
5th
Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Check out Zenni.com, they are great prescription glasses to have as backups (boat, truck, downstairs/upstairs). I typically only wear glasses around the house, but I buy them on Zenni for less than $10 a pair.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmp8254 View Post
Check out Zenni.com, they are great prescription glasses to have as backups (boat, truck, downstairs/upstairs). I typically only wear glasses around the house, but I buy them on Zenni for less than $10 a pair.
Thanks; I'll check them out. One thing I found out about getting new glasses, it's like buying a new car. They try to hit you with all kinds of "options".

Do you want anti-glare coating? Sure. How about both sides? What do you mean both sides? Don't you automatically coat both sides?

Or, There's three different types of progressive lenses. Would you like this option, where the sides aren't too clear? Or, this option where the sides are clearer. Or, this final most costly option where there is no distortion at the sides.
Uhm; I think I would like the option where I can actually see out of my glasses.

WTF is that all about. Have we as a country actually come to the point where "chitty" is acceptable. They might as well say, "Would you like "piss poor", "less piss poor", or "quality"?

When did we start accepting "half assed" as an option? I guess we should all run out and buy stock in "Harbor Freight". Poor quality is becoming the norm, you have to pay EXTRA for what used to be "standard".

Sorry for the rant
5th
Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 PM

Well even if you couldn't see us on Saturday it was great seeing and hanging out with you. Maybe we can get a CBA group together at Larry's again. It would likely double their business for the month. lol.

That might possibly be the last time I go to the Pasadena show though; there are just too many people and I couldn't hardly look at a darn thing. Glad I scored great deals on a pair of reels though.......It was the last aisle I was going to walk down before leaving.