Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2009, 03:40 PM

Default How important are...........

How important are fishing reports in the decision making process for you as to where and when to go? Like totally depended on, extremely useful, useful but not relied on to much, taken with a grain of salt, etc.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:50 PM

I like to know if people are catching in particular regions of the bay before making decisions on where to launch. If I am going to take a day of my time and work for fish, it is nice to know that they are in an area.

For example, i fished out of Solomons on Day 1 of the MSSA due to knowing that people were catching big fish in the region even if I didnt know where exactly there were. I did fish out of SPSP on Day 2 because I know some people had fish in the BPL area and that I didnt have to go as far.

It is also nice to know.. What types of baits people are using, what methods of fishing, etc.

Other important details can be depth of the bite, tide, etc.

If anything.. I just like to see photos of guys catching fish no matter where as it is nice to think about being on the water while working.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 12-01-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Fishing reports are pretty important for me. There are many on this board that I trust to give good imformation. As Greg stated, I need to know that there are fish in the area for me to give it a try. I don't need to know the exact location. I often give the exact location in my reports simply because I may not be back out for several days and the fish probably will have moved by then. However, if someone is going out the day after my post, I may have helped him put a few in the box. Just keep this in mind; I will never lie to you and steer you in the wrong direction. I may leave a few things out (especially if I fish off of someone elses boat and I don't want to burn their spot). But for the most part; I'm open to tell you whatever you need. You can always send me a PM for more information. 5th (Marty)
Old 12-01-2009, 04:51 PM

I use the reports a lot.

I launch from the same ramp out of my marina all the time. So they let me know whether I should go north, south over to Eastern Bay when I come out of the river.

The reports also let me hone in my approach for a trip. For example, now it is good to know the general depth of water people are catching fish and if they caught deep or up top. During the summer I may change what I am fishing for (i.e. flounder, croaker, etc.) or have to put different tackle on the boat like when macs show up.

When I fish off my boat I have not issue telling you where I fish and I usually post a report every time. I am of the opinion that there are no "secret" spots. Some spots are hot on a given trip and cold the next trip.

When I fish off someone elses boat I don't post. Also I talk to a number of people during the week and if they share info I will not put it in my reports. I will tell you about technique but locations will be very general like "mid bay".

Jerry
'06 Boston Whaler Conquest 235
Rhode River
Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 PM

I see all these reports and think of running to different areas but I usually end up at the BB and it works for me.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM

I've used reports to help me decide on areas to fish. Usually works pretty well. However, when the bite is on, it doesn't matter where I fish!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 PM

I don't really use internet report very much unless I know the person posting and call them and verify the story.

I do it in general terms. For instance, I am monitering the VA board on TF to see when the VA charters start catching and bragging about 50" fish on eels. So far it does not seem to be happening.

BUT I am also calling guys like Walleye Pete and asking him to keep an eye out for me for when the eeling boats are stacked up on 18.

Same thing right now for the cut channel. There are lots of report on the northern neck board about the gannets doing it, but trust me, I will call a few Reedville charter captains the night before I go to see if they were there the day before.

At the end of it all, I am more restriced by time and weather than anything else, so I just get as far as weather and time ande money allows. If I could, I would run to the CBBT every time I go fishing. . .
Old 12-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Reports are fun to read but I fish from Deale and generally don't have to go very far........I rely on logs that I've built up over several years to determine a game plan on any given day or week.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM

I mostly read reports to keep me entertained while I'm stuck at work. During the beginning of the fall or spring run, I place more importance on them to see when the migratory fish have reached the Solomons area.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Baldzilla

I read them but don't believe a damn thing unless I know the person is reliable. There are guys on the other site that don't really post true reports, I know most of the guys on this site and know they are legit so I will take more interest in them...but lately I've just been reading them to see what can possibly be criticized.

I don't have the network Francis has but I have a group of #'s from reliable guys and like to talk to them before I go out, especially if it's been a long time. Part of the fun is finding your own fish, but when you've been as sporadic as I've been lately I can't keep track of where they are and then the good guys come through and really help you out...kind of the same reason I don't turn on the VHF when I'm out there, cell phone much more reliable...