Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Angry

Saturday we have a full day trip and two half-day trips Sunday on the Lucky Strike. Not sure when I will get my boat out again. Just had the engine serviced and coming out of the creek the other day the O2 or the water-in-fuel alarm went off five times. Shut it down each time and it fired right back up. After we cleared the jetty and opened it up, it ran fine for the rest of the afternoon. I'm going to burn the rest of the old fuel out of it and see if that clears it up. If it doesn't, I guess I will take it back to BOE and if it happens again after that, it will be at Tri-State getting a new Yamaha 250 hung on it and there will be a very lightly used Honda 225 for sale on Craig's List!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Saturday we have a full day trip and two half-day trips Sunday on the Lucky Strike. Not sure when I will get my boat out again. Just had the engine serviced and coming out of the creek the other day the O2 or the water-in-fuel alarm went off five times. Shut it down each time and it fired right back up. After we cleared the jetty and opened it up, it ran fine for the rest of the afternoon. I'm going to burn the rest of the old fuel out of it and see if that clears it up. If it doesn't, I guess I will take it back to BOE and if it happens again after that, it will be at Tri-State getting a new Yamaha 250 hung on it and there will be a very lightly used Honda 225 for sale on Craig's List!
Tawn - Seems like every Honda owner has had a problem with that O2 sensor. Don't know why Honda doesn't just put out a recall on them. From everyone I know with a Honda O2 sensor issue, once replaced they never had another problem with it. Good luck Sat. I will be fishing waaay south out of Breezy on Sat to avoid the worst of the crowds.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:04 AM

I'll definitely be out on Tuesday (4/22), and maybe Monday the 21st. From there, I'll be playing it by ear with respect to the weather.

Good luck to everyone!

Don
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM

I am dying to fish this weekend but the stomach bug has had my younger daughter all messed up for the last two days. I am sure the wife would like some time to chill without me fishing
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Tawn, I know we talked today in Deale, but I thought I might post this for somebody else. My problem was that my 225 would not start with the first turn of the key (ever). Honda knew of the problem. Apparently, the first turn of the key threw what honda calls a "ghost" code. The ECM (brain) would not recognize that the key had been turned. The second turn of the key WOULD be recognized, and the engine would start. Honda did not issue a recall, because they say it is not a safety issue
I took it to BOE and had them order a new "revised" ECM and install it. The good news is the motor then turned over on the first key turn, the bad news is it would throw a code and the motor alarm would go off.
Evidently, when the ECM is changed, the O2 sensor needs to be replaced as well.
The bulletin from Honda reads, "A revised ECM is available now to correct this situation. To ensure the system performs as designed, the oxygen sensor will be replaced ALONG with the ECM. The dealer will perform this product update at no cost to you for parts and labor."

I have had no issues since my O2 sensor was replaced. I have my fingers crossed that this takes care of my problems, and it is the last time I need to see Jim about a warranty problem.
My last motor was a Yamaha 200 OX66 two stroke. I had it for 11 years with zero issues.
If you have an O2 issue, at least it is a quick fix.
5th
Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Doing an OC trip Saturday to pick up my new flounder craft, "Net Flounders" (you'll understand the name better if you are a Simpsons fan).

Got a charter out of Breezy on Sunday and another next Saturday. Also have 9 rods rigged and loaded for whenever Phil decides he wants to take his boat out.

Based on the reports I've seen, doesn't look like much action anywhere this week but even less above the BB so I don't think he's in a hurry.

Hopefully, I'll get a bird's eye view of all the boat traffic as we cross the BB tomorrow. Thinking about turning on my handheld to listen to the "You son of a *****...why'd you cut me off!!" calls as I cross over.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:55 AM

Default And the new guy...

I'll be out this afternoon (Saturday) pretty much just to see how well the boat runs. If I'm pleasantly surprised by calm wind/waves I may even troll a few crippled alewive way up north at the very top of the open fishing zone. Otherwise, I may just burn some old fuel in the Patapsco where it's all still catch-n-release.

I took the whole week off from work - so planning on getting out of Sandy Point a few days this week if we get decent weather.

*New planer boards are built - now I just need to cut/crimp my trimmer line. Can't remember how long to make them. I'm thinking 80' per side.? Any tips there? I've got a 200' spool - but 100' per side seems too long for a rookie like me.

Mike
Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVJ View Post
I'll be out this afternoon (Saturday) pretty much just to see how well the boat runs. If I'm pleasantly surprised by calm wind/waves I may even troll a few crippled alewive way up north at the very top of the open fishing zone. Otherwise, I may just burn some old fuel in the Patapsco where it's all still catch-n-release.

I took the whole week off from work - so planning on getting out of Sandy Point a few days this week if we get decent weather.

*New planer boards are built - now I just need to cut/crimp my trimmer line. Can't remember how long to make them. I'm thinking 80' per side.? Any tips there? I've got a 200' spool - but 100' per side seems too long for a rookie like me.

Mike
How many rods are you planning on hanging from each side? Hang a big ass sinker on the outside of each set, helps keep the board from flipping
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM

Thanks Oldfart...

I plan on running 2 lines each side while I learn how and then probably 3 per side once I get the hang of it... The boat has 10 rod holders - 4 on the Top and 3 on each gunwale. Usually fish 3 guys on the boat (sometimes 4). 23' boat.

So if I have 3 lines on each planer - I can reserve the back corners for downriggers too.

I just split my 200' spool into 2 x 100' lengths. But I think 75' or 80' final size might be right for me.

Thanks again to all the vets for their advice.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:19 PM

I cancelled to day due to the winds and having a crew of my print clients who have only fished with me once. Makes it tough to run the entire show with gusts to 20knots out of the E.

I am pulling for Thursday as my first full trip!