Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 PM

Default Patent Pending 5/1--Proof

Ok guys; here's proof we don't always do well. We had been doing extreamly well up to and including last friday. Well the winds blew and it was the nastiest I've ever seen the bay. Gusts to 35. The foam from the whitecaps was blowing across the deck looking like it was raining sideways. The boards would leap out of the water and come crashing down. I had to stop looking at them; it just made me too nervous. One Captain lost a board. Totally lost it. A second captain had his dive and take out all his lures on one side.
We put the nose of the 46ft Markley into a wave and had green water on the front windows and down the gunnel, yet we caught fish. We had four in the box when the party said it was time to head for the barn.
That was fine with me!!!!
Saturday we had a tough time and only put a couple fish in the boat. We figured the storm had messed up the tides by blowing all the water out of the bay. There was hardly any outgoing tide.
Sunday we didn't fish. But we heard it was a tough bite.
Monday we put 6 in the boat, but one short 27inch fish, so only 5 in the box. We were smelling like a rose. Most boats only had a fish or two.
Today, we smelled quite differently. We managed only two keepers for our charter group. We had two more knockdowns that may have been smaller fish.
It might be time to downsize some of your baits.
We are headed out again tomorrow, and this will tell the story. Is the season almost over? I know of about 6 boats that will be out tomorrow and we should get some good information as too if the season is waining.
It will be interesting to see how many big fish get checked in for the MSSA tournament.
We will hit the water hard tomorrow, but I will probably have some smaller 6 inch storm shads on the boat if I need to switch out some baits.
Good luck,
5th (Marty)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Got a half dozen small ones yesterday....Will be out tomorrow and will stay in touch...Good luck to you guys...
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM

We fished Saturday also, and from the chatter on the radio, I think most struggled. We ended up having a good day, but really had to work for them. We found a small group of fish and stayed in that area all day. A couple of times we were tempted to move when action slowed, but then we would catch one.

I've talked to a couple of captains, and so far this week has been very slow for them. Looking forward to your reports this week, as I'm hoping to fish on Friday. FWIW, about half of the 10 fish we caught still had lice.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 AM

Marty,

Here's the way I see it:

I noticed on my FF on Sunday afternoon several clouds on the bottom. The fish I pulled up had worms on them. Anytime in the past I saw this, it was May worms. The Post Spawners are headed out and any pre spawners left are probably staging in the rivers now for the next full moon in a few days.

It'll probably be a lull in action for awhile and then one last good bite before the out chop. (This is assuming that there is one group of pre spawners still left!! )
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Keith,

You're not the first person I've heard mention May worms.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Keith; I was thinking may worms too. However, most of the time when they are eating mayworms, they chit mud all over the deck while you hold them for photo's.
It has been a tough bite FOR WHATEVER REASON. We will just stay at it. Only put 3 in the box today.
As I have to replace a shad (torn up by a hooked fish, or tail bit off/ happened today), I am replacing it with a 6 inch shad so guests get to reel in a fish (even if it's an under).
At least the tides are looking more normal after that big wind from last friday.

Keith, how has your season been going in southern md? Sorry we haven't been able to fish together for a while. I think our mutual friend has been busy at work and not fishing as much.

5th (Marty)
Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
Keith,

You're not the first person I've heard mention May worms.
Yeah Joe. Two of the three I pulled up had them crawling on them. Here's pic of my FF. I saw these clouds on the bottom everywhere. In years past, it's them worms!

5th, fishing good 1st week then the dropoff like everyone else. You wann come jig down my way one day? Let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may worms.jpg (84.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Since I was a guest on another's boat today, I'll let him share whatever details he wishes, but I can say that the bite was slow this morning until about 9am, then it was fairly consistent for a few hours.

We all had a fish to keep, and a couple went back over. One fish looked like a drunken whore on Sunday morning; it had sores on it and had been beaten up pretty good. All of the others were beautiful and healthy. A fish or two still had Sea Lice.

The winds were mild today and it was overcast until about 2pm when we decided to head in.

Those that have fished before with Mike (Garlien) will appreciate this: He filleted his first fish today down at my community boat ramp where we have a decent fish cleaning station.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Did he wear gloves
5th (Marty)
Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Did he wear gloves
5th (Marty)
No!!!! Can you believe that?

Although we were commenting that it certainly WOULD be a lot easier if we were wearing gloves.

I fried up a piece of fish this morning and I have a fillet on the grill right now.