Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-24-2015, 05:32 PM

Default Last Deal Trip 5/24/15

I know; you heard that before I got a call from two Navy pilots out of Patuxant Naval Air Station. They fly helicopters, and last year they bought some of Capt. John's Spreader Bars. I had given them my card and told them I would take them out and show them how to run the Spreaders.
I didn't think I would ever hear from them again, even though we exchanged phone numbers (you know how that goes).
Well he called me yesterday to say they had trolled out of Solomon's and got skunked I told him we were still picking up a few nice fish out of Deale, and I was available today. He jumped at the offer. He brought along another pilot and the three of us headed out of Rockhold Creek at 6am.
I had taken the boards and about 12 rods off the boat in anticipation of just running boat rods from now on; but Jason (Rockin Robin) had to have a good day yesterday with boards:roll eyes:
So I went down to the shed, pulled out my boards, planer line, clips, and 8 rods, so I could try to catch these guys some fish

When they got on the boat, they said they never fished with boards, and how do they work? I tried to explain, but it's easier to show somebody. So I told them I would set one side of the boat with Rob, and the other side with Ryan, so they could practice what I had explained.
It took a little longer to "teach" the guys, but they enjoyed setting lines and learning a new way to fish. I only put 4 lines out each side because just my luck, a 16 inch fish would get hung on the outside line and I would play He11 popping the clip
I like to set rods in deeper water; especially with new people, so I know my umbrella's and spreaders are not laying in the mud Started setting lines in 50 ft and by the time I was done, we were in 70 ft I made my way west back into shallower water and when we hit 40 ft, a boat rod sprung to action. We boated a nice 26 in fish. I let the guys crank in all the fish and net their own fish today. They had a ball. I coached from the second station (Bill you were right, if I didn't have it, I would miss it). The next keeper was a nice 30 inch fish that traveled from the port side all the way over to the starboard side They had great fun taking the rods over and under the fish in order to keep lines cleared. Hoops and Holla's could be heard in Deale when they lifted that fish over the side.

We finished with 9 boated (some 19 3/4 inch fish went back overboard), a couple of nice knockdowns that didn't stay tight, and 4 fish in the box (3 26 inch and the 30 inch). They had to be back early, so we wrapped rods and I cleaned the fish back at the pier. They left with all the meat, and a commitment to grill them tomorrow with their families.

Great guys. Although they look like boy scouts. Young men defending our Country. I promised them a livelinning trip when I get back from the sailboat trip to Martha's Vineyard

Nice day; even if it was a little bumpy. I checked my Ches. Bay Buoy App. and it said 14 knots out of the south at Gooses Reef. It was every bit of that. When making our circles, we caught most fish going downwind. About a fish every half hour (although we did have two on at one time- they thought that was great fun).

I really will be headed "home" to Bodkin Creek sometime this week. Although, I keep hearing Deale calling my name for livlinning season

5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1752.jpg (93.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 AM

Glad to hear you found them, Marty. Nice idea to cut back to 4 board rods on each side. As soon as I finished putting out board rods I got a 21 incher closest to board and had to clear the whole side to get rubber band to break... not fun with 6 rods per side. Later I had a fat 33 incher swimming along and wouldn't break the rubber band. That one I didn't mind so much!

Last edited by Rockin' Robin; 05-25-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:49 PM

Marty, next time your out let me know I would love to tag along and get some tips on running the spreader bars and umbrellas!