Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Default Just Deale With It

As most know, I moved my boat north to Bodkin Creek. Plan was to scout the upper bay looking for fish close to home. I got word that there was a Rock Hall Tournament (Fri. Sat. Sun.) with the Bay Bridge being the southern border

That changed things. Figured I better work south of the bridge (Thomas Point area). Plan was to Jig and troll.

Winds were not scheduled to lay down until later in the morning, so my 5:30 am departure was pushed back to 7:30. Left Bodkin Creek to some nice rollers, but at least we were all headed in the same direction

When I got south of the bridge, the structure knocked the winds down a couple of mph. Received a text from a good friend (thanks Rockin Robin) that he had breaking fish. I gave a "call out" to another Judge (Justified) and found out he was running a half mile behind us.

The "Judge Fest" began. Jason had attracted a slew of boats using their "bent rod" sonar; but there were enough fish still around to throw topwater, BKD's, or metal to willing eaters. Bruce hooked into a "screamer" again and the next thing I heard was, "I'm down to the backing" I quickly started the motor and by the time I put it in reverse, Bruce had one wrap left on the reel. We gained line, and Lou reached for the harpoon OOPS, that's another show Lou grabbed the net, and a another "over" went in the box.

Jeff stayed "outside" and trolled; while Jason and I chased birds and breaking fish. Staying in touch with one another allowed us to help pinpoint schools large enough to jig on (winds blew you off fish quickly). We could even call jeff into some fish occasionally

I had several nice fish in the box, so we decided to "leave fish" to troll farther out in the channel. I put out a 9 rod boat spread and we quickly hooked up a nice fish that went in the box.

A sailboat decided to come up behind me and push me toward shallow water. Bruce reminded me that even though he had his sails out, he was the overtaking vessel and I had the right of way. That didn't help me make my turn
He passed about 40 ft off my starboard and waved as he went past. I cut behind his stern and missed him by about another 40 ft trying to send him a message.

I doubt he received it.

We trolled back across the bay to our starting point, and put another nice fish in the box. I noticed a fair number of fish tight to the bottom, so we wrapped the trolling rods and broke out the "buggy whips" again.

The fish laying on the bottom were not in a feeding frenzy, but Bruce "finessed" another "over" to take his jig. With six in the box (our limit of overs and unders), we stored rods for the bouncy ride home.

At 16 mph, we had a long ride home. But what a trip. I can't believe I left Deale just to run almost back to Deale from Bodkin Creek

Fishing with friends (both on my boat, and on other boats) is what it's all about. Everyone had a ball. We each did our on thing, and we caught fish.

I washed down my salt covered boat while Bruce and Lou cleaned fish. Another successful trip. I may have to do this more often As if that were possible.
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2109.jpg (97.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:14 AM

Great time fishing with you gents today. It sure does help when there are multiple friends working together.
We ended up with a limit of 8 from 23"-34" - 3 overs, 6 unders (1 released) and a bunch of shorts. Like another wise Cpatain I know, I delayed the Sandy Point pick up from 6 to 9. It was still pretty sporty at 7:50 when I left Tolchester but we got there at 8:30 none the less.
Trolled 7 boat rods from 9-1. Stayed in fairly shallow water all day. All fish were caught within a 1 mile radius. Most were caught on the two rods with my favorite summertime rig! Gonna switch a few more rods over tomorrow during the blow

Thanks for getting out early Jason and putting us on a nice bite!!! I did call out to you before leaving but didn't get a response so I figured you were reeling one in. Didn't want you to think I just took off on ya but I had to catch Marty before the bridge .
When I got back to Sandy Point, my work customer said "since you never let me pay for anything, here," and handed me a nice bottle of Grey Goose!! . What will I ever do with that......

Old 06-11-2016, 05:04 PM

I had a sailboat do that to me last year in Eastern Bay. I watched him come from about 3 miles away, he overtakes me on my Port side and continues to angle across my bow and cut me off. With shallow water on my Starboard side I decided to let him know I was there. I laid on the horn with a danger signal and got an immediate response, they all threw down their wine glasses and started a Chinese fire drill to get that sucker turned around! Then they head back across Eastern Bay in the exact opposite direction.
The great thing was I never had to alter course!

Last edited by Mikie; 06-11-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 PM

Marty is putting me on so many fish this year I may as well sell my rig and fish with him for the rest of the year. I feel bad that Marty never had a chance to eat his sandwich yesterday. Great day with great friends. Catching 30"'fish on my perch jigging rods is a blast.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Marty is putting me on so many fish this year I may as well sell my rig and fish with him for the rest of the year. I feel bad that Marty never had a chance to eat his sandwich yesterday. Great day with great friends. Catching 30"'fish on my perch jigging rods is a blast.
Don't be a fool Bruce, just swap him boats!

Last edited by Chessie27; 06-12-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Marty is putting me on so many fish this year I may as well sell my rig and fish with him for the rest of the year.
I know how you "new retirees" have to budget that first year

5th
Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 AM

Glad you guys got on them!
We did an all jigging trip.
The incoming was non-stop action on metal but it was tough to get them to hit plastic. Plenty of topwater fun in breakers, too. Outgoing was not so good, fish on the screen covering the bottom but TOUGH to get them to bite anything.

Always nice seeing friends on the water.