Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-08-2015, 06:22 PM

Default Rare skunk with Mlag

Mark told me that he hates asking people to go looking for spot with him. He figures that if he invites someone fishing, it best be for rockfish. I had told him that I don't mind looking for spot to fill his trap at the pier. The spot are way to far south for me (running from Bodkin Creek).

Mark planned to go "spot" fishing today and I jumped at the opportunity for another day on the water.

We met at 6am and headed south into a stiff SW wind. The CBIBS said 14 Knots (about 16 MPH) We took a leisurely ride across the bay and tried a few places he had been successful in the past years. Nothing

I called Capt. Charlie Schneider (Big Will II) who runs out of Tilghman, to see if he knew of any places where we could pick up a bunch of spot. He laughed, and said we were waisting our time. Some Captains are spending hours for 12-14 spot

Mark and I looked at each other, and Mark said, "We can always revert to Plan B. Lets go north of the bridge and troll for rock So we began the long ride (at least with the wind) north. The bridge slowly got bigger as we made steady progress north.

Once north of the bridge, we dropped 7 trolling rods and fish on before the last rod was deployed The tide was ripping, and we had better success as it slowed. Finished with our two overs (31,32) and two unders (21,22) while keeping a close eye on the dark clouds over the western shore. We only had a few sprinkles all morning.

We ran back to the South River and fueled up with plenty of time for Mark to head in to work

Sooooo, as far as "spot" go; we were skunked The live well was empty; but the cooler was full Look at the difference between 22 inch fish and 32 inch fish

It is alarming to me that it APPEARS that it is just this one school of fish supporting charters and private fishermen from as far away as Chesapeake Beach/Deale, and Tilghman Island I hope I'm wrong and additional schools pop up elsewhere

Good luck to the CBA's headed out tomorrow
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1860.jpg (92.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Nice.

We have one on Friday and two on Saturday - I am dreading it!

If you had told me we would be running above the bridge and dragging 20+ lines off boards in July, I would have laughed at you and asked you for a hit of whatever you were drinking.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 PM

Not sure which is more concerning - lack of Spot or how far boats are running to get on this one big school of Rockfish.

Crazy seeing Chesapeake Beach charters above the bridge.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 AM

It is alarming but man is it great finally not having to run 20+ miles down the bay for quality fish. Sorry guys from the south, but it looks like payback time! I can see what you mean when you use to say "it's great they are right in the back yard"!