Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Default The official MSSA 2-7-2011 Update

Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association
"Preserving and Protecting the Rights, Traditions, and Future of Recreational Fishing"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSSA UPDATE
February 7, 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Message From: Vince Ringgold, MSSA President

MSSA Secures Commitment from DNR to Revise Maryland’s 20-Year Old Striped Bass Allocation Policy
MSSA Executive Director Appointed to SFAC

Dear MSSA Members-

By now you have all read the headlines and details regarding the illegal netting of rockfish in our own backyard. I am writing today to let all you know that the MSSA and its leadership are in conversations on how best to approach and correct these issues as well as the longterm sustainability of all our fisheries.

Earlier this year the MSSA’s concerns about ecological-based warning signs and the continued illicit harvesting of striped bass by Maryland’s commercial fishing industry appeared in a White Paper entitled, Advancing a Striped Bass Conservation Management Strategy for the 21st Century: Analytical Perspective. Findings emanating from this study clearly underscore the need to revise Maryland’s 20-year old striped bass allocation policy (the annual amount of striped bass allowed to be harvested by the commercial and recreational sectors) and set forth proposed legislation to ensure this policy was revised. MSSA’s concerns about striped bass, Maryland’s Official State Fish, were shared with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in a letter dated January 26, 2011.

On February 2, 2011, Maryland’s DNR Secretary John Griffin informed MSSA of the following: “The Department believes that a review of the current striped bass allocation is appropriate as it has been more than 20 years since it was adopted. The Department is prepared to conduct this evaluation in cooperation with stakeholders, including sports fishermen, charter boat captains, and commercial fishermen. The Department could approve a policy as early as June 1, 2011.”

Griffin also added, in a recent phone conversation, that it is because of MSSA’s efforts that they are addressing the allocation issue and hope to approve policy soon.

I would like to formally express our appreciation to DNR and commend Secretary Griffin for his bold Leadership. In light of our conversations the MSSA has agreed not to pursue introduction of its envisioned Striped Bass Conservation and Sustainability Act of 2011.

MSSA and DNR Working Together:

I also shared with Secretary Griffin that MSSA is outraged by the continued illicit harvesting of striped bass by the commercial fishery and that we must act now and put an end to this kind of flagrant disregard for the law. Maryland’s commercial fishing industry harvests more striped bass than any other East Coast state and they do so within their principal spawning grounds, the Chesapeake Bay. Just because we have a seemingly abundant population of striped bass today does not mean we will have it tomorrow.

I affirmed that the MSSA will support the Department and are committed to working with Secretary Griffin and his staff to produce viable solutions to protect the states fisheries resources. We have also reached out to our lawmakers for their support as well.

There have been three pieces of legislation introduced this session expanding DNR’s role and ability to manage our fisheries.

HB 111 – Department of Natural Resources - Fishing - Regulatory Authority
Authorizing the Department of Natural Resources, subject to specified standards and requirements, to adopt regulations governing the manner, methods, and gear for catching and possessing fish; repealing provisions of law that require a person to possess a valid fishing license before using specified devices to catch or attempt to catch finfish

SB414 – Natural Resources - Administrative Procedures - Electronic Citations, Inspections, and Hearings (Cross Filed w/HB396
Altering the acknowledgment procedures for citations issued by specified police officers for specified natural resources violations; repealing a hearing requirement that must be met before the Department of Natural Resources may suspend a recreational or commercial fishing license and requiring the Department to provide notice to specified persons of the right to a hearing; altering the authorized scope of administrative inspections of commercial fishing operations; etc

Myself, Dave, and our leadership look forward to working with DNR and all interested stakeholder groups to ensure the long-term conservation and sustainability of this coveted, and finite resource – through a revised allocation policy reflective of today’s realties and increased penalties for poachers as well as other alternative management practices.

MSSA Executive Director Appointed to SFAC:

Earlier this week the MSSA received a phone call from the Governor’s Appointment Office informing us that Dave Smith, Executive Director, has been appointed to the Sport Fish Advisory Commission (SFAC).

I am very pleased to hear this news and know that Dave has worked very hard and deserves this recognition. I am positive he will represent the MSSA with the highest degree of professionalism and commitment. Just today we discussed the agenda items the MSSA will bring up at the next SFAC meeting and will be sending out updates to keep all members abreast of current issues.

Thank you again for your support and please do not hesitate to contact me with your concerns or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Vince Ringgold
President, MSSA

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot