Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Need a friend!

I've called everyone in the books! Anyone want to go fishing, right now??? Please call me or respond here ASAP! 412.427.1343

Edit. Names Mike. Will be trolling off my boat

Last edited by ste6168; 03-30-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6168 View Post
I've called everyone in the books! Anyone want to go fishing, right now??? Please call me or respond here ASAP! 412.427.1343

Edit. Names Mike. Will be trolling off my boat
Good luck!

You probably saw us while you were out there. We were the small white center console with a t-top following really, really close behind the big red Towboat US boat between 2:30 and 4:30.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Good luck!

You probably saw us while you were out there. We were the small white center console with a t-top following really, really close behind the big red Towboat US boat between 2:30 and 4:30.
Drafting eh? Usually works pretty good for the Nascar guys, you have any luck?

I would have to say, for a last minute trip, we did pretty good today. Wen't out with one of my prior students dads and caught 3, missed one. Last night after work, I went out with a buddy and did the same, caught 3 missed one. All fish over 30" (smallest at 32") with one coming in at 42". Being that I am on spring break and don't work all next week (did I mention any of the benefits of being a teacher), I will hopefully be fishing everyday next week. Deal is still on the table for anyone trying to brave the elements

Here are a couple pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg james 42.jpg (84.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Me 38.jpg (86.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg me 34.jpg (64.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-31-2012, 12:23 AM

Pretty fish, nice job.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6168 View Post
Drafting eh? Usually works pretty good for the Nascar guys, you have any luck?

I would have to say, for a last minute trip, we did pretty good today. Wen't out with one of my prior students dads and caught 3, missed one. Last night after work, I went out with a buddy and did the same, caught 3 missed one. All fish over 30" (smallest at 32") with one coming in at 42". Being that I am on spring break and don't work all next week (did I mention any of the benefits of being a teacher), I will hopefully be fishing everyday next week. Deal is still on the table for anyone trying to brave the elements

Here are a couple pics...
I'd say you had a pretty nice day, for sure.

We got the lines out around 11:30 and had a great fish on at exactly 1pm. I had been driving the boat for 90 minutes with no hits and I was getting hungry. So I said to Mike, "I'd better grab a piece of chicken and start eating so we can get a hit." Sure enough, I was about 2 bites into it went the starboard side parachute started screaming out line and the rod was shaking back and forth like Stevie Wonder on crystal meth. Mike grabbed the rod and had about 2.7 seconds to feel the fish fight until the line snapped. That was about 1/4 mile north of the bridge over in the east channel. We saw tons of bait from 10' down to 40'. About 15 minutes after the fish broke off, the boat started running poorly, having trouble running at trolling speed.

I started thinking back to when we left the dock. We stopped for fuel and the fella at the fule dock said, "You're lucky, we haven't gotten this year's delivery yet so the gas is still at last year's price." "Awesome!" said Mike, since it's his boat and he was paying for the fuel. "Oh crap," I was thinking to myself, knowing of the dangers of 6 month old gas and its potential effects on motors.

We pulled the lines since we were starting to have to troll at 9 mph just to keep the boat running. Then it died. Got it restarted and man it was running rough. Made it to just off of Sandy Point when we decided to anchor and call for a tow.

Hopefully it's as simple as replacing the fuel filter and Startron'ing the tank to death.

I'll be in DC all ay Monday and pond hopping with some high school buddies on Tuesday. Probably attend to the "honey do" list on Wed. But Thursday or Friday might be a possibilty to get out if the weather cooperates a little.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 AM

I wouldn't be as worried about "bad gas" (seperated or phased) as I would be with water in the gas. If you got it from Mike's marina (we'll leave it nameless in case it wasn't water in the fuel) I know a friend who had problems at that marina early in the spring last year.
You may just need to change the fuel/water seperator (drain it in a large glass to see if water comes out). Sometimes, not much water comes out, it's trapped inside. Then add some fuel treatment to the tank.
Because Mike has an inboard, I guess you can't run the motor from a seperate tank (like you can with an outboard).
Best of luck to you. I will be away during the early part of next week, but I'm available Thurs/Fri as well. If John isn't headed out, maybe we can get a trip in with somebody who owns a 27 Judge or 25 Maycraft.
I hope Mike gets his boat back up and running quickly.
5th (Marty)
Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I wouldn't be as worried about "bad gas" (seperated or phased) as I would be with water in the gas. If you got it from Mike's marina (we'll leave it nameless in case it wasn't water in the fuel) I know a friend who had problems at that marina early in the spring last year.
You may just need to change the fuel/water seperator (drain it in a large glass to see if water comes out). Sometimes, not much water comes out, it's trapped inside. Then add some fuel treatment to the tank.
Because Mike has an inboard, I guess you can't run the motor from a seperate tank (like you can with an outboard).
Best of luck to you. I will be away during the early part of next week, but I'm available Thurs/Fri as well. If John isn't headed out, maybe we can get a trip in with somebody who owns a 27 Judge or 25 Maycraft.
I hope Mike gets his boat back up and running quickly.
5th (Marty)
I had thought about the seperator too; it's really easy to get to on his boat, but unfortunately we had nothing to drain it into onboard (And now I guess Mike will NEVER forget his 5 gal bucket "trash can" again!) and since Mike has the towing insurance we figured we wouldn't waste our time trying to mess with it with our limited resources (and knowledge )

His separator is the kind that looks just like an oil filter and has no drain on the bottom or clear bowl to view the contents like some. Otherwise we would have tried draining it into an empty Corona bottle.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
I had thought about the seperator too; it's really easy to get to on his boat, but unfortunately we had nothing to drain it into onboard (And now I guess Mike will NEVER forget his 5 gal bucket "trash can" again!) and since Mike has the towing insurance we figured we wouldn't waste our time trying to mess with it with our limited resources (and knowledge )

His separator is the kind that looks just like an oil filter and has no drain on the bottom or clear bowl to view the contents like some. Otherwise we would have tried draining it into an empty Corona bottle.
And if I know Mike, that boat will be running like new again by Monday afternoon.