Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Default Another Flipped Sailboat

http://broadneck.patch.com/articles/...-in-chesapeake

Gee, with the winds we've been having, who would've thought?

Quote:
An 18-year-old Annapolis man survived overnight Sunday in the Chesapeake Bay by clinging to a sailboat's hull after it had flipped, authorities said.

Thomas Lundvall, of Annapolis, worked with his father on Saturday repairing his 16-foot catamaran daysailer. But hours later, a strong gust of wind caused the vessel to capsize while he was alone on the Chesapeake Bay after midnight.

Lundvall managed to get on top of the overturned hull and stayed there for nine hours until a freighter going into the Port of Baltimore spotted him. He was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore with symptoms of hypothermia. His body temperature had dropped to 88 degrees Fahrenheit, according to Maryland Natural Resources Police (MNRP) spokesman Art Windemuth.

Anne Arundel County Fire Department Battalion Chief Steve Thompson said emergency officials were alerted at 8:40 a.m. Sunday for help with a water rescue on the Chesapeake Bay.

Thompson said Lundvall was fortunate to have survived the hypothermia overnight, but he was also very lucky he was not run over by large ships because he was in the middle of a shipping channel.

Windemuth said Lundvall left the Bay Ridge Community pier alone at around midnight Sunday and capsized shortly afterward due to high winds.
"He encountered a strong gust of wind, which caused it to flip. There was also an indication that there was some structural failure from the hull," Windemuth said. "We are also investigating whether alcohol played a factor in this."

Odenton Patch editor Tim Lemke contributed to this story.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM

"We are also investigating whether alcohol played a factor in this."

Any one want to bet ? 7 to 1 odds answer is yes.

One lucky guy to survive overnight. If his body temp was as low as reported - likely he did not have much longer to live.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Foolish to go out at night, at 18 no less, after drinking...

I have no issue with a few drinks on the water...But stupidity is, well, just plain stupid....

Having someone else there is a good idea, having all safety gear is smart, a good fear of the water is something we should all have, and common sense could stop a lot of these dumb as sh#$@t episodes....
Old 04-09-2012, 06:08 PM

I'll admit to about 1/2 the dumb a$$ stuff I did in late teens / early twenties.

Once statue of limitations is up - I'll confess to other half

Amazed I lived through a lot of it , sadly good few buddies did not.

Water skiing at night , swimming around the boat 30 miles out while chumming for sharks , home made explosives.

Think man upstairs has a soft spot for dumb a$$es and gives a few extra to the nine lives.

Sure the young sailboater used up 4-5 already.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 PM

Ha ! You and me both....I am surprised I made it to 18...Much less 21...

Not sure how many times Scott or I found each other in a bed with someone neither of us knew, woke up in a gutter, ate McDonald's that was 2 to 3 days old...Bought a 5th of Andre Extra Dry and OJ for breakfast, etc...

Nothin my kids will ever know...What was done in my teens and early twenties, stays there....

Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 AM

Even if the kid wasn't drunk, he ought to have his sanity checked.

Yeah, guilty of plenty of dumbass stuff in my younger days, and still a fair amount of dumbass stuff at 42 years old.

Hope he's ok....I'll see if I can find any updates. That's 3 flipped blowboats that I know of this year already.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Ha ! You and me both....I am surprised I made it to 18...Much less 21...

Not sure how many times Scott or I found each other in a bed with someone neither of us knew, woke up in a gutter, ate McDonald's that was 2 to 3 days old...Bought a 5th of Andre Extra Dry and OJ for breakfast, etc...

Nothin my kids will ever know...What was done in my teens and early twenties, stays there....

All of our shenanigans required a 5:1 ratio of booze to food.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
That gives a good rundown of the 4.5 years I spent in college. Add in having to be picked up ifrom the local drunk tank a couple times, downtown Pittsburgh at 3-4 in the morning (beer, blood, and other bodily fluids on my clothing), being kicked out of multiple bars, etc, and you described those years well...

Now, at the still young age of 26, I still do my fair share of dumb stuff, but do it on a much different basis. I always say that the years you spend in college aren't real life
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM

i dont know how i'm alive today. kid got lucky, as many of us has.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM

Are light not required on a sailboat at night. He is REAL lucky to be alive............Gary