Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2015, 04:22 PM

Default Just thinking out loud

I don't want to start a firestorm so that's why this is posted on CBA.

It looks like we will not get a definitive answer on the Maryland rockfish regs until March 24th. The same holds true for Virginia's regs.

Here is my question. After the Md. season closes, we run to Smith Point Va. to catch rock. We are allowed to fish in Vir. waters (Md and Virginia have reciprocal license, you just need Virginia FIP #), catch fish, and return to Md. waters. We can't have lines in the water, but we can transport the fish

What if Virginia's limit is different (and more lenient) than ours? Do you think we can leave out of PLO, run to Virginia, catch our fish, and return to PLO with our catch?
Of course I know the answer will be no. You better not get caught with a fish that doesn't adhere to Md. regs in Md. waters; but isn't that what we do in late Dec.?

Do Virginia charters run to Md. waters during our Trophy season? I believe their trophy season begins and ends on different dates than ours.

Just thinking out loud
5th
Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 PM

I'll guess it will be OK.

Using winter as example - we can legally catch / keep Rock off Smith Point in December after Md season is closed. Would not seem to matter if Va. and Md had different size limits.

I know some years ago Va. had a slot - think it was 30-34 no take. We launched from PLO ( Md ) but obeyed the Va. limit.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I don't want to start a firestorm so that's why this is posted on CBA.

It looks like we will not get a definitive answer on the Maryland rockfish regs until March 24th. The same holds true for Virginia's regs.

Here is my question. After the Md. season closes, we run to Smith Point Va. to catch rock. We are allowed to fish in Vir. waters (Md and Virginia have reciprocal license, you just need Virginia FIP #), catch fish, and return to Md. waters. We can't have lines in the water, but we can transport the fish

What if Virginia's limit is different (and more lenient) than ours? Do you think we can leave out of PLO, run to Virginia, catch our fish, and return to PLO with our catch?
Of course I know the answer will be no. You better not get caught with a fish that doesn't adhere to Md. regs in Md. waters; but isn't that what we do in late Dec.?

Do Virginia charters run to Md. waters during our Trophy season? I believe their trophy season begins and ends on different dates than ours.

Just thinking out loud
5th
It's legal. Can't stop and fish in Maryland.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 AM

Thanks Reds. I guess there would be a lot of "explaining" to do at the PLO ramp to other fishermen and DNR

If I can show on my chart plotter that we were across the Vir. line; that would help

5th
Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Has the ice melted in Virginia yet ?