Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Default 3-29-2012

Marty sent me these pics to post for him. He'll post the write up later when he gets home. I was not with them today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charlie 3-29-2012.jpg (35.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg John 3-29-2012.jpg (37.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg marty 3-29-2012.jpg (39.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 PM

Scott; thanks for posting the pictures, it's good to be friends with the moderator. I know how to post photo's from my camera, but now everyone uses their phones.

Anyway......
Capt. John had a friend he wanted to take out Tuesday, but the friend broke off a tooth and had to have dental surgery. The plan was changed to take him out today. I called a couple people to see if they wanted to go out with us, but everyone seemed busy except Charlie Schneider.

So I arrived at the boat around 7:30 (leaving dock at 8am for a fun trip). I set the rods and lures and a little before 8, Charlie and John arrive. John starts the boat, and I ask where's Lester (the friend)? John says his tooth is still bothering him, so the three of us cast off.

With the wind being from the NW, we headed straight out of Deale and headed for the #82 bouy. Just before we hit the western side of the channel, we set lines. I told Charlie that once you go with us two times, you are no longer a GUEST on the boat, and he had to fight me for the rod today.

About 9 am the first board line gets crushed (tandem 8 bars out). Guess whos standing right next to the rod, MEEEEE. I bring a nice fish to the boat and after a quick photo, back it goes. SEA LICE on the deck.

High tide was around 9am, so I figured we still had some current left when we caught the fish. However, we hit a lull after that first fish and we broke out the sandwiches. We hoped that with the tide change, we would see more action. While waiting out the tide change, I caught he11 for taking the first fish. Charlie seemed especially annoyed that for someone approaching his 60th birthday, I could still move that fast.

East/West was a little rocking/rolling today, so we tried to keep the board a little more North/South on the western side of the channel. The East side held larger waves because of the NW winds.

After the good natured ribbing subsided, a deep umbrella (20oz) 75 ft back gets whacked. The drag was screaming. Charlie has a drag sound on his phone, so I figured I could beat him to the rod again while he tried to answer his phone, but no WAY. Charlie knows the difference. We boated another nice fish with sea lice, and released it quickly.

On a side note, all the fish we have caught this spring have been hooked in the lip and the lure falls out very easily with ground off barbs.

It wasn't long before another reel starts singing. This one was my 6 pack back 200 ft. It was the Captain's turn. John reeled in another very photogenic fish, and back it went. Charlie shook his head and said I can't believe that $@*% rig catches fish (it has been our most productive rig). If I saw it hanging at a show, I wouldn't give you five dollars for it.

We trolled a little while longer; but I knew the water was turned on at the dock, and John would want the boat washed down after all the spray from today. So I suggested we head in. It had been a good day. We got out on the water, caught a few fish, got a load of new information, and I could get home before the traffic got too bad.

Some info confirmed from today:
* Fish are still coming in from the ocean (sea lice)
* Winter jellies are practically nonexistant (So Far)
* Not many gannets seen flying or diving today (maybe water was too rough)
* There are some fish on the western side of the channel (previously we have hit the eastern side hard)

I know a couple guys who plan on fishing tomorrow (better wind conditions). Maybe they will post.
5th (Marty)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM

I love that crazy llittle rig......you're right; it's the one that caught the most fish while I was on board at least.

Mike and I are hoping to get out for a while tomorrow. But if we do, we probably won't make it any more south than Matapeake. I think Don hooked up with a nice one off of Matapeake last week (or maybe it was Skip?) so hopefully another week of warm weather under our belts will have brought some nice fish further up the bay.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Scott; do a shout out for any CBA's. I know one that will be in the area with his "new" 27 Judge (oops, did I give it away).
5th (Marty)
Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 PM

I will be in the area starting around 3, and will go until dark...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Scott; do a shout out for any CBA's. I know one that will be in the area with his "new" 27 Judge (oops, did I give it away).
5th (Marty)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6168 View Post
I will be in the area starting around 3, and will go until dark...
If everything goes right, we should be pulling away from the dock around 10am.

I'll have Mike keep the vhf on but most of the time we can't hear it that well. I'll shout out on 68 once we're down to trolling speed.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Marty....You DO move pretty quick for an old guy! I knew it was over when you started throwing those shoulder blocks! I just wanted to correct one item in your post. I said "I wouldnt give a plug-nickle for that contraption". If I hadn't seen it for myself, I wouldn't have believed it ! It pulls like a 5gal bucket but MAN, it sure catches fish! You could probably use it as a drift-sock in a pinch! He,He.
Let's do that dinner thing at John's place, sooner rather than later. The season is getting close!
Thanks again for the invite, it was another great trip on the PP.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Charlie View Post
Marty.... I just wanted to correct one item in your post. I said "I wouldnt give a plug-nickle for that contraption". If I hadn't seen it for myself, I wouldn't have believed it ! It pulls like a 5gal bucket but MAN, it sure catches fish! You could probably use it as a drift-sock in a pinch! He,He.
Either way, I was crushed.
Next time bring John some of those mylar shads and I will put one on the rig. I bet the fish will be jumping in the boat.
5th (Marty)